New bike upgrades ....... why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Simple question just been browsing an other bike forum and i noticed 2 adverts where people have bought new bikes and then claim that with 50 miles they have upgraded the Groupset and wheels so why go and bike those bike's in the first place ?

I know there will be answers where certain frames are not offered with certain groupsets but if it's the groupset that is important to you buy one that does offer it surely

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can’t answer the question but agree with your point. When I buy a new bike these are two things I consider as part of the purchase. The last one I opted for 105, the bike shop offered to put on Ultegra shifters as they are aesthetically pleasing and on the shop’s advice we did a wheel upgrade mainly funded by decision to have 105.

Walked out the door ready to go.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Look and weight ,fit and performance.

Most of us change something.
I tend to change seat bars and stems.
Though wheels are right up there.
Also its a personalised thing

bpsmith

Veteran
Ask the manufacturers why they fit low spec wheels to almost every bike, regardless of the price level.

With respect to the other changes, it boils down to the fact that you can pick complete bikes up with great discounts, but you can’t often find just a frameset with the same deals.

Venod

Eh up
It was Christmas Day or Boxing Day 2017 (can't remember which) Triton Cycles had a one day only offer of 20% off, so I bought a Cannondale MTB, it was a single chain up front, I really wanted a double but that's how it was specced, I figured with the huge savings I had made I could afford to upgrade later, as it was I rode the single ring for over a year, but have now reverted to a double up front.

But if I had been paying full price I would have searched for what I wanted from the off.

vickster

Legendary Member
The reason I will now buy a bike to order. The manufacturers don't produce a bike to the spec I want. Sram groupset with 50/34, 11-32, wheels with a decent number of spokes, 40cm bar on a 54cm frame, 172.5cm cranks, a 100mm stem, decent tyres ...and crucially no black bartape ;)

Yes, I probably can't get a bargain but more importantly I can actually get what I want which will suit and fit me! And no faffing around getting parts changed, trying to sell unwanted stuff with the attendant faff or posting etc

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
In all the years I have been cycling, all the new bikes I have purchased were tried and tested first, from proper bike shops. The input that I gave the shop was used and the resulting bike and components were spot on every time.
I have now taken the plunge and i am getting a bike bespoke to me from Condor cycles. I was measured up last week and I was there for over an hour talking to the assistant and on the jig. It should do me for the rest of my natural.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Build you own - change nothing

(not strictly true though - I just changed the Stem on the Single speed from a 90mm to a 60mm - but it is the same make and model) :whistle:

bpsmith

Veteran
Bike a bike and change parts or get it custom built specifically for you. Totally your own choice depending on price and individual fettling skills.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I do usually ride mine for a bit before I worry about upgrades, but most of my bikes were bought used. That doesn't mean some upgrades are not in order. My recumbent, a Bike E from the 1990's, came with little narrow bars welded to the stem. But I searched my local bike co-op, and found a threadless stem made to a better spec than the original, with the water bottle cage mounts as well.

Top Bottom