New bike - who to trust with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't call and collect. It will cost you even more money when you get in the shop and start thinking 'could do with a Planet X jersey to match. And if I get the jersey, may as well get bib longs too. Course, they'll need washing, so will need another set to wear. And what about when summer comes around...' You get the idea. Leave the credit card at home.

I have no problem with Planetx products.they are good value.I visited the shop as I was unsure about sizing and stem length.A bike was put on a turbo and placed in various positions saddle hight various riding positions and tempo.This wasn't a full blown bike fit.The bike fits me like a glove
Same here too. Staff were really good, I was the only one in the place at the time though. And I got a free jersey thrown in too

Last edited:
Firstly, went to see the finance dept at work today and got the c2w sorted on my new bike, just waiting for the voucher and I'm really rather :hyper:

It's a Planet X carbon tt jobby, my first carbon bike and I'm debating how to get this new beast home from sheffield.

Planet X will sort the delivery for free, but I saw that it was through yodel :eek:, and the thought of mixing their half arsed delivery ethic and my new carbon, plus their propensity to climb over parcels in the van, then leave them on the driveway fills me with dread.

I'm tempted to get up early, make the drive up there on a Saturday and pick it up myself.

What do you guys think? Am I being too precious about my new steed or are my concerns valid?

Anyone fancy a road trip?:laugh:
Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works but am I to assume you have got a tt bike on the c2w scheme? If so are you using it for riding to and from work? If not might someone take note and make unwelcome noises, maybe even think you are extracting the michael somewhat?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I didn't get a bike fit when I went up and collected my Pro Carbon from PX. Nobody mentioned it when I was buying it and nobody mentioned it when I was collecting it.
I was not trusting the post or couriers. I drove up and collected.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wiltshire to Sheffield is quite a haul to pick up a bike and is going to cost a bit. How about asking Planet X to box it up so that you can arrange your own 3rd party carrier to pick it up and get it to you? I can't remember the name of them, but there's a £25 nationwide service that is reputed to be highly bike-friendly.
BTW, I bought a bike on the internet that arrived damaged a few years ago. Returning it to the suppliers, all wrapped up, was a quite considerable undertaking. You really don't need that.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'd let Yodel deliver. If the bike is up to commuting then I'm sure it will be fine...
No. My hybrid had a broken off rear derailler hanger and a closed-up slot at the end of the front forks. The front wheel skewer did'nt fit.

The drivers couldn't give a sh!t.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
If it's any help I've had three bikes delivered from PX by Yodel and all three have arrived the next day after the despatch email in perfect order.
The boxes they use are massive and the bike is not padded down inside atall. But mine arrived okay on the day i was expecting them, so no complaints from me.
Hope this helps.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Wiltshire to Sheffield is quite a haul to pick up a bike and is going to cost a bit. How about asking Planet X to box it up so that you can arrange your own 3rd party carrier to pick it up and get it to you? I can't remember the name of them, but there's a £25 nationwide service that is reputed to be highly bike-friendly.
BTW, I bought a bike on the internet that arrived damaged a few years ago. Returning it to the suppliers, all wrapped up, was a quite considerable undertaking. You really don't need that.

If you arrange someone to pick it up & the worst happens, I would imagine it's an even bigger hassle getting it sorted than if you let the supplier use their own carrier?

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not the carrier, it's the driver and the staff who handle the package. Most don't care a toss and will, er, toss your bike around no matter how many "Fragile" signs are stuck on it. Many courier companies act as agents for TNT, who did this to a bike I sold by driving something through the carton:

Damagetotubecausedbypenetrationthroughcarton.jpg

In this case I had a struggle getting anything out of TNT because the buyer's idiot wife signed for the goods in "good condition" despite the carton being badly crushed and a huge hole right through it. Do not allow the delivery driver to harrass you; get the package inside and inspect it carefully and if you have the slightest doubt, sign for it as "damaged".

You'll be pleased to know that by getting the TNT rep to come to our office (I sent it through my employer's account) and by refusing to accept their first derisory offer I managed to get about half the cost of the repair out of TNT.

I've used Paisley Freight since then to carry bikes and wheels but they just use TNT as their carrier.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works but am I to assume you have got a tt bike on the c2w scheme? If so are you using it for riding to and from work? If not might someone take note and make unwelcome noises, maybe even think you are extracting the michael somewhat?

Hmm, I might be misinterpreting this, I think I'm probably on the spectrum, but what's that tone all about then? :thumbsdown:

Yes, it's a flat fifteen to work, albeit along main roads. My thoughts were it's an ideal warm up, 10 and a cool down for maybe two or three dry mornings a week, on the tt bike, on the skis, when the sun returns I will indeed be commuting in on it. Not through the grot and slush strewn roads right now, but it will serve the c2w purpose, dare I say it a lot more than many bikes bought through the scheme.

Considering the people that have "extracted the Michael somewhat" at my last employer and at the lbs when I've been in twice recently; buying children's bikes, guys buying significantly too small women's bikes and part paying for a tandem, on the c2w scheme, I don't think I'm breaking any rules nor do I have any intention of doing so. :headshake:

Hopefully that has justified my position enough to sate the c2w police's desire to p1$$ on my chips, but if anyone wants a touch more proof, they're welcome to join me in the mornings. :highfive:

Top Bottom