New bike - who to trust with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
It's not the carrier, it's the driver and the staff who handle the package. Most don't care a toss and will, er, toss your bike around no matter how many "Fragile" signs are stuck on it. Many courier companies act as agents for TNT, who did this to a bike I sold by driving something through the carton:

Damagetotubecausedbypenetrationthroughcarton.jpg

In this case I had a struggle getting anything out of TNT because the buyer's idiot wife signed for the goods in "good condition" despite the carton being badly crushed and a huge hole right through it. Do not allow the delivery driver to harrass you; get the package inside and inspect it carefully and if you have the slightest doubt, sign for it as "damaged".

You'll be pleased to know that by getting the TNT rep to come to our office (I sent it through my employer's account) and by refusing to accept their first derisory offer I managed to get about half the cost of the repair out of TNT.

I've used Paisley Freight since then to carry bikes and wheels but they just use TNT as their carrier.

:eek::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I think that picture may have just made my mind up.
Plus fuel prices are dropping.
I'll get my car keys...

Hmm, I might be misinterpreting this, I think I'm probably on the spectrum, but what's that tone all about then? :thumbsdown:

Yes, it's a flat fifteen to work, albeit along main roads. My thoughts were it's an ideal warm up, 10 and a cool down for maybe two or three dry mornings a week, on the tt bike, on the skis, when the sun returns I will indeed be commuting in on it. Not through the grot and slush strewn roads right now, but it will serve the c2w purpose, dare I say it a lot more than many bikes bought through the scheme.

Considering the people that have "extracted the Michael somewhat" at my last employer and at the lbs when I've been in twice recently; buying children's bikes, guys buying significantly too small women's bikes and part paying for a tandem, on the c2w scheme, I don't think I'm breaking any rules nor do I have any intention of doing so. :headshake:

Hopefully that has justified my position enough to sate the c2w police's desire to p1$$ on my chips, but if anyone wants a touch more proof, they're welcome to join me in the mornings. :highfive:
Yes, you were misinterpreting my post. and yes you are correct, many use and abuse the scheme, we know one employer who has withdrawn from the scheme because his car park is strangely still full and the bike rack is empty.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Yes, you were misinterpreting my post. and yes you are correct, many use and abuse the scheme, we know one employer who has withdrawn from the scheme because his car park is strangely still full and the bike rack is empty.

Sorry TF :blush:

My bad for the misguided and rather waspish reply. I'll chalk that up to a bad day at work and an eminent lack of social skills :shy:

Mrs M

Guru
:crazy:I collected my mountain and road bikes in person, tucked them up in the car on top of an old quilt to make sure they suffered no trauma on drive home, but that's just me :smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
:eek::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I think that picture may have just made my mind up.
Plus fuel prices are dropping.
I'll get my car keys...
you'll need a big car, or be prepared to take the bike to bits. i collected my ribble r872 from royal mail in stoke (it was that or wait 'till after the weekend) and the box would not fit in my vauxhall zafira, even with all the seats down. i had to rip the box open and take the nearly finished build our to fit it in the car.

the bike was in perfect condition though…

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

you'll need a big car, or be prepared to take the bike to bits. i collected my ribble r872 from royal mail in stoke (it was that or wait 'till after the weekend) and the box would not fit in my vauxhall zafira, even with all the seats down. i had to rip the box open and take the nearly finished build our to fit it in the car.

the bike was in perfect condition though…

My plan was to ask them to build it, no box with the front wheel off it will fit in my fiat panda Italian stallion.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Any bike will fit in any car if you remove the wheels and place it on the back seat, remembering to protect the upholstery from the chain.

In a decent-sized estate like a Passat it's a breeze - fold the seat backs forward, turn the bike on its side and post it in. Two bikes can be stacked fully assembled with a blanket between them and two can be hidden, wheels off, in the boot with the seats up and the blind pulled shut.

vickster

Legendary Member
Got a new (smaller) car last month. Worried bike won't fit in for trip to LBS for service, or collection of new bike (Dream on) :smile:
Ride the bike to its service assuming it's not broken, and ride home after the long way

Mrs M

Guru
Shop where I bought bike is 50 miles away and take it to a shop 20 miles away for service. There are closer shops but know what I get from these two.:thumbsup:
Bit too far for me at present, will need to get training :smile: :bicycle:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Any bike will fit in any car if you remove the wheels and place it on the back seat, remembering to protect the upholstery from the chain.

In a decent-sized estate like a Passat it's a breeze - fold the seat backs forward, turn the bike on its side and post it in. Two bikes can be stacked fully assembled with a blanket between them and two can be hidden, wheels off, in the boot with the seats up and the blind pulled shut.

Not all back seats fold forward & some mountain bike frames are bigger than they look :blush: I ride a 61cm road bike & it fits in the boot with both wheels off, but a colleagues mtb wouldn't fit one night after offering him a lift home when the fairy had paid a visit :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Shop where I bought bike is 50 miles away and take it to a shop 20 miles away for service. There are closer shops but know what I get from these two.:thumbsup:
Bit too far for me at present, will need to get training :smile: :bicycle:
It won't be long before that distance will seem easy if you keep going.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Well ? Have you got it yet ?
Alas the lady in finance that sorts the c2w was off until mid week, so it's only just gone through :cry:

So I'm exercising a bit of patience and finishing the Xmas beers off in the mean time.
Tbh, looking at the weather, I wouldn't have been able to ride it this weekend anyway.

How is your new shiv going?

Top Bottom