New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That Halfords Lube is their version of Finish Line Cross Country.

Halfords own brand products are usually good copies of the branded ones. I guess there must have been a shortcoming in your cleaning/lubing routine rather than a shortcoming in the lube.

As a general guide - clean your drivetrain every 100 or so miles (more if riding in the wet) and lube the chain.

OP
OP
Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Über Member
Thanks for the help.

So should I be looking products from Finish Line Cross Country? Or do you think the Halfords stuff is ok to use?

Any other tips/advice for keeping my new bike in tip top condition welcome :smile:

Fattman

I believe the Halfords one will be just fine. More important is keeping the chain clean cos it's the muck and grit that gets turned into a paste which then wears away your components.

I am a recent but total convert to (a variation of) "The Mickle Method" (soz, can't find the link to this right now, but do a search and you'll find it)...

When the chain gets black with road grit, get kitchen roll/bog roll/rag and wipe as much off as possible. Then (this is the variant) use a baby wipe (I prefer non-scented :smile: ) to get it really shiny. Baby wipes are awesome for cleaning chainrings, cassettes (you can slot them between the sprockets) and derailleurs - and they're relatively cheap!

Then apply a tiny amount of oil to each link, leave for as long as possible to soak in (overnight e.g.) and then wipe with clean rag/kitchen roll next morning.

I know this seems a bit of a shag but it really keeps the crap off the components (and you) while keeping a modicum of cleanliness to the chain and everything will last longer.

Added to this, for a good clean, sacrifice a brush/sponge when cleaning the rest of the bike to give the chain a good going over with soapy water before the baby wipe stage.

I used to go with dry lube (particularly in the summer) but with the method above there doesn't seem to be the need - wet is fine.

Good luck!

sabian92

Über Member
I use the wet (green) Finish Line Cross Country lube in the winter, and the dry (red) in the summer, a can of muc-off degreaser and some hot water/rags. Takes about half an hour (and I'm pretty useless so probably less for most other people) and it'll keep it pretty clean and decent to ride. Lube the derailleur, chain, and other parts of the drivetrain, job done.

Top Bottom