New Boardman Ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zanelad

Guru
MY Giant Fastroad E+1 has a 36v 13.8 Ah battery.

On level 2 (out of 5) assistance I can get close on 100 miles. I guess it depends on what speed you average and how much assistance you require.

What I am finding is that I'm using less of the battery's power on each commute. When I started commuting I was using around 22% of the battery each day (22 mile round trip). Now it's closer to 18%. Not sure if that's because I'm getting a little fitter, the warmer weather ( I believe they don't last as long in cold weather) or some other factor.

gbb

Legendary Member
A bit if both i suspect Zanelad.

Do you need a big battery on a roadbike ? By simple virtue of the fact they tend to be lighter, more aerodynamic, roll better etc etc, even In my case with poor hips and knees I'd be cruising at around 15 mph on a roadbike so wouldn't be using much in the way of assistance...far less than say on my 23 kilo e hybrid. A fitter fella would only be using the assistance for hills for the most part...so perhaps a smaller battery seems appropriate....only my opinion of course.

Edited to say...
Ha, i stated cruising at 15 mph with dodgy hips and knees. Last nights 15 miles on a normal roadbike saw me average 14 mph on moderately rolling terrain. I must stop using 5 year old stats.
Further to battery size, of course our terrain here isn't bad, rolling inclines at worst. I guess if you lived in a hilly area, a small battery may well be a problem if your fitness isn't what it used to be for instance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom