New Boardman Ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Wow, i'm impressed with the look of them. Really neat with the motor and battery hidden away in the downtube. Not bad torque either at 60nm.
I'd like to know what the battery capacity is.

Smudge

Veteran
Not sure i could splurge over £2K on an ebike, but if Halfords start doing deals on them, like they do with most of their bikes at times, then i'll be taking a serious look at them.
Its about time i replaced my hybrid self build ebike.

Good morning,

I am a bit confused about the Boardman bikes that you see in Halfords nowadays, rather than the ones sold elsewhere.

When they first came out they were sensibly specified for the price, everybody was positive about them and they never appeared in the 50% off Bank Holiday Special sales.

Nowadays the specification seems a lot lower and they are appearing with discounts and there are more negative comments about the quality of components.

Sure Halfords will get negative reviews as they are so big and do appear to have a variable quality of service, but many of the negative reviews come from people claiming to be on the second or third Boardman.

I understand that Halfords bought Boardman in 2014 and it seems that they are slowly taking their part of the brand, rather than the Boardman Elite range, downmarket.

So are the ebikes "real Boardmans" or "Halfords Boardmans"?

Bye

Ian

robgul

Legendary Member
There are a couple of Corratec road e-bikes that use the Fazua motor/battery combo [The battery is a long thin tube that has the motor (about as big as a BB cartridge] on the end - removable as a complete unit.

I've seen them at one of the bike distributors we deal with - concept and appearnace is superb BUT I'm not sure about the sort of range you get from the battery? - one should ask the same question of the Boardman - which does look good.

The Boardman spec says "up to 56 miles" - but on what basis of power usage:rider effort? - and that's low for an e-bike in that price range.

The Orbea or Ribble "look like an ordinary bike" models can both be ridden without the power, although you still have the motor and battery on the machine - my guess is that the overall weight against the Boardman without the battery/motor isn't much different?

Rob

Smudge

Veteran
Anyone that has ridden and owned Ebikes, will have an idea how far the Boardman's 7amp/hr battery will take them, they should take into account how and where they ride an ebike. Manufacturers mileage claims means nothing.
Personally, for my use, i'd have liked it to have a 9amp/hr battery, its this that has made me hesitant to pull the trigger on one.
The Orbea and the Ribble ebikes aren't really comparable, as they're hub drive.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Anyone that has ridden and owned Ebikes, will have an idea how far the Boardman's 7amp/hr battery will take them, they should take into account how and where they ride an ebike. Manufacturers mileage claims means nothing.
Personally, for my use, i'd have liked it to have a 9amp/hr battery, its this that has made me hesitant to pull the trigger on one.
The Orbea and the Ribble ebikes aren't really comparable, as they're hub drive.

True. My Crossfire has an 11.6 aH battery and it died on me after 18 miles of hills - even trying to be as economic as possible

keithmac

Guru
What battery capacity do the Giant road bikes have?. 7ah won't cut the mustard for a decent hilly ride imho.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have 13.5Ah @ 52V,. Its a little early to give concrete numbers, but a flat terrain with winds on one charge so far its covered 70 miles. The battery has still 25% the voltage is at 50 volts. The controller shuts off the system at 42Volts. It will take a few more weeks of testing to get a good feel of range over various terrain

Top Bottom