New brakes compatible with my Sora ST-3300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Evening All

The tektro callipers on my Dawes Giro 300 are coming to the end of life, I have serviced them but they just take far more setting up than is reasonable and I am thinking a new set of calliper might be a nice performance upgrade as well as offering easier setup.

Not wanting to spend loads, but unsure if there are any compatibility issues I will run into. I know I need to ensure the drop is ok, but not sure if there is any pull ratio issues.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Would something like the Sora R3000 be ok?

Photo just because.

Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a Dawes Giro Audax 600. Any road calipers will match the cable pull your STIs deliver. You're right to focus on making sure the drop is enough: check your current set(s) carefully. A pair of 105 calipers I obtained haven't got quite enough.
Second hand ones would be the easiest route. Lots of people upgrade and have the replaced ones for disposal.
There's a wanted sub-forum here: I recommend you ask.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I have a Dawes Giro Audax 600. Any road calipers will match the cable pull your STIs deliver. You're right to focus on making sure the drop is enough: check your current set(s) carefully. A pair of 105 calipers I obtained haven't got quite enough.
Second hand ones would be the easiest route. Lots of people upgrade and have the replaced ones for disposal.
There's a wanted sub-forum here: I recommend you ask.

Thank you, the Giro 300 has very on little tyre clearance 23mm are about the max so there is not much drop, but I will measure.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well I have some smart 105s which I bought to use but are surplus (reason above). DM me if you want (was not purpose of my first comment :laugh:)

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
I wonder what's actually wrong with them. I'd probably clean and lube the pivots and make sure the cables are good, then put some koolstop pads in. If you're going to upgrade, bear in mind that shimano has changed the cable pull on their brakes at least twice, so random replacements may not work as well as / better than what you have now.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There have been cable pull ratio changes but only top end, which the OP hasn't got (see 'upgrade' and 'Sora R3000' in OP)
Shimano has gone through 3 generations of brake cable pull:
1. 8, 9, and 10 speed shifters with external shift cables pulled the least cable (Gen 1).
2. 10 speed shifters with internal shift cables pulled more cable (Gen 2).
3. 11 speed shifters pull even more cable (Gen 3).
What are your STIs @GeekDadZoid ? Sora?

I avoided the condescending 'just clean them up' response but sought to answer the OP's Q. I agree Koolstop Salmon / Dura2 pads will improve any set of caliper brakes.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I wonder what's actually wrong with them. I'd probably clean and lube the pivots and make sure the cables are good, then put some koolstop pads in. If you're going to upgrade, bear in mind that shimano has changed the cable pull on their brakes at least twice, so random replacements may not work as well as / better than what you have now.
There have been cable pull ratio changes but only top end, which the OP hasn't got (see 'upgrade' and 'Sora R3000' in OP)
Shimano has gone through 3 generations of brake cable pull:
1. 8, 9, and 10 speed shifters with external shift cables pulled the least cable (Gen 1).
2. 10 speed shifters with internal shift cables pulled more cable (Gen 2).
3. 11 speed shifters pull even more cable (Gen 3).
What are your STIs @GeekDadZoid ? Sora?

I avoided the condescending 'just clean them up' response but sought to answer the OP's Q. I agree Koolstop Salmon / Dura2 pads will improve any set of caliper brakes.

I don't disagree this was my first stop, I have taken them apart and lubed them up a couple of times and I also had them done by the LBS as part of a full strip down. They work but they just feel like they let the bike down, the only part of the bike I would want to change. I'll have a look at the upgraded pads too.

Thanks

Top Bottom