New Brompton owner 6mth update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulRoberts

Im not familiar with this grip but it looks like the clamp is on the inside (ie by the brake levers) so cutting down the length will not be an option. I advise checking on the length.
The standard Brompton grips have the clamp is on the inside and are longer than the space, so not a problem.

1621709220110.png

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Marathon Racers apparently have worse rolling resistance than standard Marathons, without quite the same puncture protection, so other than weight saving, I really don't see what the point in them is.

Well, the bars changed the bike again for me, after a few months of riding mostly road bike. This brommie is a 2018 M6E model which I'd changed to the JK ergonomic mid-risers, which I also liked. Just, after a few long rides on a road bike I'd bought to stick on a turbo in case the first lockdown stopped outdoor exercise as it had done in other countries, the brommie was feeling a bit Mary Poppins. Hence switching to these bars, giving excuse to get new Borough bag as T-bag is fine unless you want to steer (plus mine was getting pretty worn).

The bars have just made it feel like it did before I got the road bike in some ways. I'm might chop them down a couple more millimetres, and I really probably should shorten the cables now I'm settled on keeping them. Not been out on a "long" ride with them yet, but nothing on any of the rides I've done so far make me think I'd want to change them for long distance. More practical space for additional accessory attachment too, but that's just S over M. Great value too, but it was a bit of a wait this time.

12boy

Guru
Interesting about the Racers vs Marathons, mitchibob. I would have thought being so much lighter they would roll easier. I was considering replacing my old Marathons with Racers so that is good to know.

mitchibob

Über Member
Interesting about the Racers vs Marathons, mitchibob. I would have thought being so much lighter they would roll easier. I was considering replacing my old Marathons with Racers so that is good to know.
I'd be interested to see if anyone noticed a difference using tubolitos in various Brommie tyres (can't bring myself to cough up for them)

One thing I'll say about the Conti tyres... sub-20psi, they do start to feel a little more sluggish, but still comfy and not that slow. Really should've given them a pump up before I went out to physio today, but my recovering wrist is probably thanking me. But same pressure in marathons I remember being like riding through treacle.

Top Bottom