New Brompton owner 6mth update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
I thought why not post a brief update of my ownership as its been 6mths now. First off i know Brompton strongly market their bikes. Some are suspicious and some feel they are over hyped and selling a lifestyle. But hand on heart this is the best bike I have ever owned. And boy im so pleased because I bought it with some trepidation. Especially as I was warned its not a bike you buy untested. However the old rona put paid to that and I just pulled the trigger when I found a bike meeting my requirements. I am also pleased it was a smaller independent, Damian Harris Cycles.

It took me a few weeks to become very comfortable with the quick steering but love it now. Now and again I think it would be nice to raise the bars a little but otherwise I adore this bike. My rural commute involves filthy mud strewn and occasionally flooded country lanes so usually its caked in crap. I just keep the drive train clean & oiled but it still rides beautifully. Today following a mod to the gearing I gave him a wash and he came up like a new penny.

Bloody brilliant bike it just seems to do everything I need. Highly recommended.

Gunk

Guru
Glad you're enjoying it, mine is probably my favourite out of all my bikes, it's just a giggle to ride.

mitchibob

Über Member
I have to say, after getting a road bike the day before lockdown, so that I could put on a smart turbo, in case the worst happened, like certain other European countries (thought about smart rollers, but wanted to also protect the NHS), my Brompton got a little neglected for a while, then felt a little Mary Poppins when I started riding again.

Got some Joseph Kousak Ergonomic S-bars a while ago and a new saddle, and it's a new bike again. Also had to replace the T-Bag, as definitely can't steer with a T-bag and S-bars. Road bike is pretty much permanently on the turbo now. Brommie is feeling great and got 6 months to decide if it's what I use for the Dragon Ride Gran Fondo (as it's what I originally entered and planned to do it on), or chicken out and use the Triban RC500 at the last minute.

But Brommie is so much better for picking up shopping and stuff compared to road bike. Don't have to take a lock, and can carry more. New big Borough bag is pretty good. So much more convenient to be able fold your bike up and take anywhere with you, although, did like Premier Inn have policy that you can take your road bike with you into hotel room. Brompton you can take any place though, and is great to ride.

It does make more noise than the road bike though, but I think you just get used to that after a while. Just need to pedal more, mostly!

mitchibob

Über Member
they do rattle!
Yeah... I fully understand that guy that rode alongside at the 2019 Dunwich Dynamo for a bit, that opened conversation with "Ah, the unmistakable rattle of a Brompton". Just an awesome bike though! I love my road bike too, but the Brompton takes bike practicality to another level! Pretty sure I'd have had to put a foot down on Hardknott pass on the road bike too, but would've way more difficult to get it going again than the Brommie!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Kiddiewheelers are a real hoot to ride. Don't have a brommie but do have a Bike Friday. It's got disc brakes and. Nexus 8 gear hub, fold is a bit of a pain but otherwise great.

Gunk

Guru
The basket mod is worth doing.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/another-brompton-project.257797/page-11

mitchibob

Über Member

Yes, that is a great mod, but I feel safer going over speed humps with the beers in my new borough bag!

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
I have the metro messenger bag in medium and i think its superb. Only a couple times have I needed a little extra space.

Im wondering about the Brompton rattle though as mine is virtually silent. Unless I inflate the rear tyre to a high pressure then the jockey wheel on the mudguard rattles a bit.

mitchibob

Über Member
I also fitted the JK S - bars and love the way they make the bike feel. Again recommended
With Ergon GP4 grips?

I still might chop my bars a little more than I have already... bring more inline with shoulders. Just always figure you can't put it back on, once you've chopped it off, so doing gradually. Like the fact they've got markers to make it easy to cut evenly. Everything ergonomic about JK bars, including the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom