New Brompton owner 6mth update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Sorry about all the lighting and the muck but I work him hard ^_^

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm feeling left out of all this Brompton loveliness, I've only borrowed one for an emergency dentist visit while on a narrowboat holiday on the Llangollen canal, so had to get to a remote Shrewsbury practice from Chirk by train and Brompton which was fantastic and great fun [despite the dentist visit to drain an abscess]... one day I'll be able to invest in one!
You won’t regret it....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thank you Sir!
Makes a difference when you can see them on the bike.
Mmmm, due to increasing neck issues I might go for the mid-rise, will have to think.

Oh, and in my book a B is a fabulous item of utility, a function, a workhorse, not an over-pimped, hyperclean artwork as others seem to think it is :ohmy:
Your very welcome.
Although these do give some relief in all honesty I would go for a little more rise if you are having neck issues.

Agree with you my B is precious but its a workhorse. My commute to work and back is laden with filth and water logged roads (see below). Right now all im doing is keeping the drivetrain clean & oiled.
IMG_2894.JPG

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
In my world that is "clean" :rolleyes::whistle:
Admittedly it got a bit of a clean just before the Christmas break so it looks better. Normally poor chap is proper skanky.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Your very welcome.
Although these do give some relief in all honesty I would go for a little more rise if you are having neck issues.

Agree with you my B is precious but its a workhorse. My commute to work and back is laden with filth and water logged roads (see below). Right now all im doing is keeping the drivetrain clean & oiled. View attachment 567300
Thought you'd got an appropriate shot from the bow of a narrowboat on a canal!

12boy

Guru
Roads are pretty much ice and snow free so, itching for a ride, out came the Brompton. Other recent rides were on bikes with studded snows. It was fairly windy today at 20 mph and I found it depressingly difficult to go against the wind. Grinding along on level grround with 54 gear inches and I was only able to do about 8 mph. I've replaced my brake levers with some Tektro clones which work fine and are kind of hard to see when riding as they hang below the handle bars. I hit a stretch with little wind and was still at a crawling pace.
Even though this has happened once before it took a long time to realize I should spin the rear wheel to see if it moved freely. It would barely turn. The screw out adjuster on the brake lever had backed itself out to the point the wheel would barely move. Once screwed back in and on the bike again it was like no longer dragging an anvil. The last half of the ride, even though mostly uphill, was so much better. So, if you experience feeling like you are riding through molasses, might be good to check the brakes.

shingwell

The screw out adjuster on the brake lever had backed itself out to the point the wheel would barely move.
😄 Yes I've had that before. And I once drove my old car 50 miles thinking the car was a bit sluggish, with a slight burning smell, only to find I'd left the handbrake on! :rolleyes:

mustang1

Guru
My Brompton was bought for two specific reasons but both reasons have since disappeared so I haven't used it for a few years. It's folded up in it's Brompton bag. The last time I checked it, a rear brake pad was missing. I'll get it out during summer I think.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thought you'd got an appropriate shot from the bow of a narrowboat on a canal!
It gets better as this is the first of two lakes I have to traverse. The one below was a little deeper than I was comfortable with. The LR you can see plowing through the water had just dropped me off having generously offered to bring me across. This happens for a few weeks every year. Still it keeps things interesting ^_^

IMG_2893.JPG

Top Bottom