New Brompton owner 6mth update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
@mitchibob @macp any chance of photo with the JK bars? Cheers!

They're only slightly less straight, but they come pretty wide, but with useful markings to enable easier chopping them off to the required width. I've probably taken about an 25mm/1inch so far, and probably going to lop off a little bit more.

The JK mid-riser bars had the same useful markings, and again, come ridiculously wide, but for someone with extremely wide shoulders, would be fine, and actually didn't get to chop them down before 2019 UHC, so profile picture has JK mid-risers un-chopped. Fastest ever time I've ever managed up Swains Lane, but not convinced the ridiculously wide bars helped (think it was the cowbells at the side of the road).

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_223418838.jpg
    IMG_20201014_223418838.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20201208_154403984.jpg
    IMG_20201208_154403984.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20201208_154335589_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201208_154335589_HDR.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20201208_153546763_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201208_153546763_HDR.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
They're only slightly less straight, but they come pretty wide, but with useful markings to enable easier chopping them off to the required width. I've probably taken about an 25mm/1inch so far, and probably going to lop off a little bit more.

The JK mid-riser bars had the same useful markings, and again, come ridiculously wide, but for someone with extremely wide shoulders, would be fine, and actually didn't get to chop them down before 2019 UHC, so profile picture has JK mid-risers un-chopped. Fastest ever time I've ever managed up Swains Lane, but not convinced the ridiculously wide bars helped (think it was the cowbells at the side of the road).
Great pics
I have not chopped mine down but agree they are well marked should you wish too.

Last edited:

Sixlegs

I thought why not post a brief update of my ownership as its been 6mths now. First off i know Brompton strongly market their bikes. Some are suspicious and some feel they are over hyped and selling a lifestyle. But hand on heart this is the best bike I have ever owned. And boy im so pleased because I bought it with some trepidation. Especially as I was warned its not a bike you buy untested. However the old rona put paid to that and I just pulled the trigger when I found a bike meeting my requirements. I am also pleased it was a smaller independent, Damian Harris Cycles.

It took me a few weeks to become very comfortable with the quick steering but love it now. Now and again I think it would be nice to raise the bars a little but otherwise I adore this bike. My rural commute involves filthy mud strewn and occasionally flooded country lanes so usually its caked in crap. I just keep the drive train clean & oiled but it still rides beautifully. Today following a mod to the gearing I gave him a wash and he came up like a new penny.

Bloody brilliant bike it just seems to do everything I need. Highly recommended.
I thought why not post a brief update of my ownership as its been 6mths now. First off i know Brompton strongly market their bikes. Some are suspicious and some feel they are over hyped and selling a lifestyle. But hand on heart this is the best bike I have ever owned. And boy im so pleased because I bought it with some trepidation. Especially as I was warned its not a bike you buy untested. However the old rona put paid to that and I just pulled the trigger when I found a bike meeting my requirements. I am also pleased it was a smaller independent, Damian Harris Cycles.

It took me a few weeks to become very comfortable with the quick steering but love it now. Now and again I think it would be nice to raise the bars a little but otherwise I adore this bike. My rural commute involves filthy mud strewn and occasionally flooded country lanes so usually its caked in crap. I just keep the drive train clean & oiled but it still rides beautifully. Today following a mod to the gearing I gave him a wash and he came up like a new penny.

Bloody brilliant bike it just seems to do everything I need. Highly recommended.
A word of warning about being confident with the steering. I had been riding my Brompton for two crash free years until last November, when I became a bit blasé about doing a u-turn on a steep hill. Have done it many times at the same spot during lockdowns, but must have been moving a bit too slowly that time and the front wheel jackknifed, pitching me sideways down the hill head first. It happened incredibly fast, no time for reflexes to kick in. I landed on the edge of my helmet and had a major headache for four days. The Brompton, being a lot tougher than me, suffered no damage at all. I have renewed respect for that twitchy steering at slow speeds. Still love the Brompton, though. I liken it to a spirited horse that can dump you at any time if you become a bit careless.

It is a lot more forgiving with a loaded t-bag, I find, but more fun without.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'd be more worried about the colour clash!
I had the Orange ones, also tried the red version on my red/ black Brommie before settling for black leather with a red contrast stitching. ( and matching red watch strap on my Garmin watch 😁

T4tomo

Legendary Member
what grips are those?

I should really update my brommie, I've still got some foam grips on it, albeit with woodman mini bar ends, although I've lost end cap of the bar end so it has half a cork from a bottle of burgandy in it, sculpted to match the slightly concave shape for ones thumb, wrapped in electricians tape:laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
what grips are those?

I should really update my brommie, I've still got some foam grips on it, albeit with woodman mini bar ends, although I've lost end cap of the bar end so it has half a cork from a bottle of burgandy in it, sculpted to match the slightly concave shape for ones thumb, wrapped in electricians tape:laugh:
They’re Ergon grips , GP2 if I’m not mistaken, available in several colours as well as “ Biokork”

Kendide

Regular
Im not familiar with this grip but it looks like the clamp is on the inside (ie by the brake levers) so cutting down the length will not be an option. I advise checking on the length.
I have Ergon GP2 grips that have stubby bar ends integral with the fixing clamp which is on the outside. They are 135mm and I had to cut approx 15mm off the length (to the inside) to fit my Brompton Electric with M bars. I am told that they do the GP range in 100mm lengths.

tinywheels

Über Member
Im not familiar with this grip but it looks like the clamp is on the inside (ie by the brake levers) so cutting down the length will not be an option. I advise checking on the length.
I have Ergon GP2 grips that have stubby bar ends integral with the fixing clamp which is on the outside. They are 135mm and I had to cut approx 15mm off the length (to the inside) to fit my Brompton Electric with M bars. I am told that they do the GP range in 100mm lengths.
I moved the brake levers in a tad but that was it.no cutting required.

gom

Über Member
I recently added ergon gp3 to my m-type bars. Excellent.
The right-hand bar end just gets passed the front wheel on folding, brushing the tyre. That was after setting at my preferred angle, other angles will be worse or better.
They are the dual gripshift versions, 100mm wide, which is not quite enough. I padded out with sections cut from old rubber (plastic) grips.
The standard widths would have been better, assuming they can be cut down. There is not enough room for the full width. (I have old bars, I think I’ve read that current ones are different.)

gom

Über Member
Glad you're enjoying it, mine is probably my favourite out of all my bikes, it's just a giggle to ride.
Favourite? Possibly. But definitely the one I’d be saddest to loose.
After little use for the past 10 years I am using mine again. What joy. Now that I’ve got proper brake levers going down hill holds (almost) no fear.
Yours looks in better condition than mine, though 4 years older. Choosing yellow may have been a mistake.

Top Bottom