New Brompton special Edition: Barbour Edition 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Still don't understand why sellers are commanding a premium on eBay, these are in stock on Brompton's website directly and at most retailers. Some have sold for double RRP :wacko:

I guess the speculative sellers sell to Asia, especially Singapore, Indonesia and other economically higher level countries. People seem to be mad for individualized Bromptons and special editions, regular supply in the own country is limited and so they import and are willig to pay ridiculous prices. And some even resell then within their country and still make a profit.
On the other hand I assume that most of the offers on ebay do not sell at the listed prices - if you follow the listings of special editions on ebay you'll see that most offerings are listed for weeks and some for months, not only the Barbour one. So the price seems more to be a "I have one for sell" message than an actual price point and then negotioations start. Some may sell for a huge profit, some for a little and most ofthose who are not willing to negotiate probably don't sell at all I assume.

On the other hand there are always people that buy stuff on ebay for crazy prices that they could alternatively have bought in a shop for regular prices. May apply to some of the special edition offerings, too. Not everyone is clever enough to check.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes check Sold listings for a true price guide, many are bet offer accepted, plus in the main sold abroad to countries who haven't got stock.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Here's another example of a 'Special Edition' that I don't think offers value for money.
YMMV
https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-watch-hermes/

Agreed. Does not really offer additional value and what would drive me off is the fact of how long one can use ist. Even given the fact that Apple supports their devices with software way longer than other brands a lifespan of 20 or 30 years as you have with a Brompton is unimaginable. I do myself own an Apple watch, but is one of the cheapest models, bought on discount when the follow-up version had already popped up. And even that was more of an experiment as I was not sure if an Apple Smartwatch would deliver relevant value to me (at all as well as over the competition). Turned out it does, but I am still unsure when the time comes to upgrade in a couple of years if I will do it. Probably not as long as the existing model works.
For the money for the expensive ones like the titanium version and probably the Hermes you could easily buy a mechanical watch that would not only last "for ever" but also hold it's value (or even rise in value).
Still, everyones needs, desires, taste and financial situation are different. So the Hermes one is not for me, still others may like it and be willing to pay extra for it. No need to freak out in my opinion.

Kell

Veteran
For the money for the expensive ones like the titanium version and probably the Hermes you could easily buy a mechanical watch that would not only last "for ever" but also hold it's value (or even rise in value).

I didn't really want an Apple watch, but my wife thought I did. And so I ended up with one. :laugh:

Turned out to be really useful and I wear it pretty much constantly.

I have just upgraded to the latest Apple Watch, but my last one was a Series 2. I saw no reason to upgrade to any of the versions in between as it did everything I needed. Until recently that is.

I only replaced it because my old one no longer lasted the whole day. Or even a work day. I originally thought about getting the battery replaced (but it seemed horrendously expensive to do it through Apple) and I did think about buying an older model (i.e. getting the series 7 at a reduced price) but no one was doing a deal and it was only £60 less than the latest one. So in the end, I went with an 8 in order to future proof it for as long as possible.

Was tempted by the trade-in deal on my old watch, but I put in all the details in and they told me it had literally zero value and was only good for recycling. I think a series 3 might get you £10 at trade in.

On the other hand (pardon the pun), the Brietling that I bought in 2000 has doubled in value.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Meanwhile, on our side of the pond, the Pound is 1.09 to the Dollar. This is the lowest that I remember. It was 1.7 ratio for years.

In 1984 it was 1:1.06. I remember because I was working for a UK company (paid in pounds) but living in the USA (paying in dollars). It sucked.
I think it's time I took another UK vacation - or should I wait for parity?

ExBrit

Über Member
I need to make a trek over there. A lower exchange rate should drop our prices for Bromptons.

No I'm sure REI has factored it into their prices :laugh:

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
For anyone interested in the Barbour stuff:
• The two Barbour bags (Holdall and City Bag) for GBP200 and GBP170 are made in China as buyers report
• The Bromdale Jacket for GBP380/549€/680$:wacko: is made in Moldova

Sold at a premium as British Icon and British heritage Barbour seem to have been arrived on the greedy side of capitalism and have started to mock their customers.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Barbour waxed jackets have always been expensive but fairly good value, as they often last for decades and never go out of fashion. Mine was bought in 2010 and has been worn a lot. It will probably last as long again. Annual reproofing (like doing a Carradice bag) is a bit of a messy job.

If production has moved overseas, they need to be careful of their reputation. Sidi shoes weren't as good when they started making them in Romania (I've had 4 pairs of Dominators in 30 years). The branding is all Italian and the label is hidden deep inside the shoe.

Attachments

• 20230104_073054.jpg
    20230104_073054.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom