New challenge 100 press ups!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
100? I can do 300 in a hit!

A versatile exercise, and with some slight adjustments can target different areas. For example, rotating the hands outwards isolates the triceps, close grip for trips and anterior deltoid a etc.

Good luck with your goals - a month and you'll be there, no probs.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Doing more than 15 or 20 of a single exercise does nothing for strength. Doing a single exercise only works one set of muscles. The set of muscles you work in press-ups are not much use in cycling.

If you want to work your upper body - and that's probably sensible - do a range of exercises covering lower and upper arms, shoulders, back, chest, abs and core.

Drago

Legendary Member
Doing more than 15 or 20 of a single exercise does nothing for strength. Doing a single exercise only works one set of muscles. The set of muscles you work in press-ups are not much use in cycling.

If you want to work your upper body - and that's probably sensible - do a range of exercises covering lower and upper arms, shoulders, back, chest, abs and core.
I think this chap might disagree...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bronson_(prisoner)

It always interests me when people who do not have a developed upper body have a high opinion about what such a set of muscles can and can't do while cycling. How would they know? Take it from a power lifter with 19" guns and a 53" chest - it's a boon, most especially when riding technical off road sections.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't think he would...

And I'm not sure a criminal lunatic psychopath is the best witness anyway.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have been doing them for the last 3 weeks. Started off struggling to do 2 sets of 10. Now i can do 3 sets of 12.
Another exercise to strengthen your core strength is to hold the top of the press up for 1 min. In yoga and pilates it's know as "the plank".
Thanks to "that cc member" for telling me about it

BTW, The Plank is not the top of the press up position, the Plank position involves resting on your forearms. This makes it harder than the top of the press up position.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Think I'll give it a go! Mind you, we are off to France next week for holidays so might be better to wait until I return. I'll try not to eat and drink too much! Hah, who am I kidding ^_^

RAYMOND

I regularly do 30 straight press ups,followed by 20 with my legs on a chair,followed by 20 with legs on chair and on my fingertips.
All part of my general exercise iv'e been doing all my life.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I am going to see how I get on. Will give myself until Christmas as 6 weeks seems a bit too soon.
Tried my test and only managed 10, that's a long way to go.

Top Bottom