New challenge 100 press ups!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I can hold for a minute on my hands,with arms locked out version.
On fore arms is a killer
My PT does a plank test with his clients. One minute of "classic" plank - on forearms and both toes. Then 15 seconds with each arm and leg raised in turn. Then 15 seconds each on opposite arm and leg. Then 30 seconds plank.

The plank is very good exercise for the core muscles, and it's core and abs which are most useful for solo cycling, as a strong core and abs makes it easier to stay riding for longer. Tandem pilots need more shoulder and chest strength because keeping the heavier machine upright is more difficult than keeping a solo bike upright.
On the other hand, that doesn't mean bulking up - that simply adds weight, which is unhelpful.

100 press-ups will not build core or abs strength. Nor will it really build upper body strength, as reps over 15 or 20 aren't about strength - it will simply build stamina, which is something cyclists are usually quite good at anyway.

compo

Veteran
I had enough of pressups in the military.
When recruits, several of us who couldn't speak French, we would be lined up in the corridor and have to count off in French. When someone made a mistake or hesitated too long the whole lot of us would have to do pressups to the number that was wrong. It didn't help when the corporals changed the order, low to high, high to low, alternate numbers, anything to confuse us. We would be called out probably a dozen times between 8pm and 2am so we did lots of pressups. By the end of the night everyone was fluent from 1 to 30.

Drago

Legendary Member
When you're feeling you're getting pretty good at the press up makarkey, that's when it's time to do then with one of your kids laying on your back.

We're you in the Legion compo, or the French Resistance?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can hold for a minute on my hands,with arms locked out version.
On fore arms is a killer

I don't know why you guys find it so hard, I can hold the standard plank for minutes at a time!

I had to do many variations of the plank as during my rehabilitation for a knee injury, as part of a preventative measure for future injuries.

My assessment at a sports injury clinic involved doing single leg body weight squats, the plank for as long as I could (she stopped me when she got bored of waiting and gave me a more difficult version to do at home), side plank with one leg raised, sort of like a star jump style position (I could barely lift my leg, hence my hip flexor's were found to be extremely weak and a likely cause of bad running form and thus possible injury contributor) and some further plank variation laid on my back with my arse lifted off the ground and one leg extended.

I am genuinely surprise that so many people find it so difficult.

compo

Veteran
Does anyone use a Bullworker. I find it good for arms and shoulders, but a Charles Atlas I will never be.

montage

God Almighty
I think this chap might disagree...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bronson_(prisoner)

It always interests me when people who do not have a developed upper body have a high opinion about what such a set of muscles can and can't do while cycling. How would they know? Take it from a power lifter with 19" guns and a 53" chest - it's a boon, most especially when riding technical off road sections.

Nobody cares how many pictures of George Michael you have on your wall

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not a picture of George Michael - that's me heading off to the Village People Appreciation Society meeting.

defy-one

Did a fast 20 miles today .... Could feel my core was stronger. Didn't slouch on the bike. Shoulders and arms were hurting- but that's down to doing lots press ups and weights last night

defy-one

I can hold for a minute + now .... Got talking to a lady about cycling & pilates and she suggested walking into the plank and back out after the minute hold ..... I feel like gillian whats-her-face! Lol
Doing this upper body strength work is paying dividends on the cycling performance.

NickJ95GB

i recommend press ups in the morning, 5 seconds after you've woken up, can manage 40, other than 30 if i do it regularly, so if you wanna cheat... try that :smile:

Trevrev

Veteran
The best time for me is after i've done my commute to work, while my body is still glowing and hot.
I have a nice quiet corner in my department where i do my press ups in peace.

Top Bottom