New commuter, advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay6

Hi All,

I am hoping to start cycling to work from next month; however I am a total novice. The eventual plan is to cycle four days a week. I will be doing in total a round trip of 20 miles a day. I have planned my route and plan to do a test run next week on the weekend.

Due to my budget I cannot afford a brand new bike and would really appreciate your advice on buying second hand and what to look out for. I have included some links below on potential bikes. Or alternatively should I save up and buy something like the careera subway?

http://www.gumtree.com/london/89/32748189.html

http://www.gumtree.com/london/85/32186185.html

http://www.gumtree.com/london/93/32837493.html

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

pinkkaz

Veteran
Hi Jay,

I'd say either the second or third look good - Ridgeback and Specialized are both good brands. I expect Scott is too but the wheels on that bike look a bit chunky for a fast commute across town.

I should say though that I bought a hybrid for a similar length route across London but now wish I'd bought a road bike or a tourer - sooo much quicker and would make it more fun. Saying that though the hybrid does the job. Second hand is fine although make sure you try it out before you hand over the money.

MajorMantra

Ditto on the second and third, I don't see any reason to get a bike with mountain bike rims for commuting. In fact, why not a pure road bike rather than a hybrid? If you don't like drops you can get one with flat bars and it'll be lighter and more fun (faster, more maneuverable).

Matthew

A

another_dave_b

As this is for a commuting bike, you might want to factor in the cost of mudguards, rack, lights, and lock when looking.

When I started to commuting I started with a mountain bike I found this to heavy, I had a hybrid which was ok but not so good for going a longer rides plus I didn't like the high sitting due to the flat handlebars.
I now have a tourer wich is a good all rounder IMO

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two important factors that haven't been mentioned: 1) What kind of miles will you be doing? There's a world of difference between a 10 mile run on a flat, smooth road and one on a hilly route scattered with potholes. And 2) What kind of facilities do you have at work?

Personally I do about 7-8 miles into town on roads that are for the most part flat and in reasonable nick, and I have a shower and dry clothes waiting for me. I wouldn't use anything other than a racer. The more 'challenging' your ride, the more you might lean more toward a tourer or hybrid.

If I were you, I'd at least think about getting a racer. Ebay has loads around the £100-£200 mark that are quality frames (typically Reynolds 531), well equipped and well maintained. You'll get a lot more fun (and speed) for your money that way, in my view. (And I speak as one with a quality racer and a quality hybrid, which I use purely for off-road.)

Oh, one last thing - frame size is very important. If you don't know what size you need, find that out before you do anything else.

OP
OP
J

Jay6

Thanks for all the feedback guys really appreciate it.

I have yet to try the route out and the last time I was on a bike was 10 years ago. So I am a complete novice.
Looking and the route (20 miles a day) I have planned I will mostly be riding on the road with a few hill inclines. I will also be riding on a canal route next to the A13 coming into canary wharf, so I presume this will not be the most smoothest. Also I will be jumping on and off the payment so for these reasons I thought the Hybrid would be the best suited?

I really want to spend at least as possible for my first bike up to £120 (moneys a bit tight at the moment) also considering I will need to buy all the accessories.

I am interested in the bike below, can any of you advise if this is a good buy. I am only 5ft 6 and was advised for a hybrid A Frame of 17 - 18 inches (M) 53-54 Centimetres would be suitable, but the bike below is 20 inches but the buyer is stating this is suitable for
between about 5'3" and 6'0, would the bike below be a good buy?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edinburgh-Revolution-Courier-bike-nearly-new_W0QQitemZ260341513121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item260341513121&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

E

Euan Uzami

20" frame - bit big if you're below about 5'9"/5'10". the seller's only put 5'3" 'cos he wants to maximise audience.

A

another_dave_b

Jay6 said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys really appreciate it.

I have yet to try the route out and the last time I was on a bike was 10 years ago. So I am a complete novice.
Looking and the route (20 miles a day) I have planned I will mostly be riding on the road with a few hill inclines. I will also be riding on a canal route next to the A13 coming into canary wharf, so I presume this will not be the most smoothest. Also I will be jumping on and off the payment so for these reasons I thought the Hybrid would be the best suited?

I really want to spend at least as possible for my first bike up to £120 (moneys a bit tight at the moment) also considering I will need to buy all the accessories.

I am interested in the bike below, can any of you advise if this is a good buy. I am only 5ft 6 and was advised for a hybrid A Frame of 17 - 18 inches (M) 53-54 Centimetres would be suitable, but the bike below is 20 inches but the buyer is stating this is suitable for
between about 5'3" and 6'0, would the bike below be a good buy?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edinburgh-Revolution-Courier-bike-nearly-new_W0QQitemZ260341513121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item260341513121&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

If it's just the size that concerns you, the ebay description says "Inspections welcome prior to bidding."

My only concern would be the limited number of gears, but if you're not facing any big hills, that's probably not an issue.

weeled

99p starting price, must be worth a punt.

I do a similar milage now to work, but it has a horror climb in the middle, so had to take this into account with the gearing, and also all on road, so mtb was out.

ended up with a flat bar racer type thingy, CB chinook. Looks very simlear(my speeling is shut). Does the job great.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Regardless of price, if it's the wrong size it's not 'a good buy' for you - and it sounds that way.

Unless you're in a tearing hurry, I'd bide my time. Keep your eyes on ebay, use all the search facilities under 'advanced search' to, eg, id bikes within easy pickup distance of you, and be prepared to wait till the right bike for you comes along. It may take a week, may take a month, but it will come - and when it does, that's you set for years to come. That's worth a bit of a wait.

Better than rushing into getting something that's 'not quite right' from day one, and is never going to get any righter.

jimboalee

P210209_1715.jpg

A commute bike.

Sturmey 3 hub, 38", 50" & 68".
Steel rims - no black brakeblock mess in the wet.
Fat tyres - softer ride.
Sprung seat - softer ride.
Full mudguards - of course.
Long front mudflap - stops the road spray hitting the bracket.
Full chainguard - can have a greasy chain.
Big front lamp 5W Ring cybalite ( with Garmin bracket on it ).
Platform pedals - no messing with cleats.
Really heavy - twice the weight of my SWorks :smile: = Winter training.

£10 up front and another £40 to get it to this condition.

Go on e-Bay.

Top Bottom