New Commuter, anybody use waterproof over trousers regularly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
For 3km, I would not bother with the hassle and the downsides mentioned above.

Wear an old jean/trouser/jogging bottom whilst cycling, and put your smart trouser on at work.

Edit: You'll also avoid crotch wear on your nice trousers

Last edited:
Not everybody likes them but Rainlegs keep the thighs dry without the hindrance of overtrousers.
I find them particularly useful in sub zero tempertures because they prevent the thighs from numbing in the cold.

For a similar length of commute and sometimes a bit longer I used to use Montane Featherlite overtrousers. They're more wind proof than waterproof but are good on the breathability side, keep the trousers clean and compact off the bike (crush down to the size of an apple). Despite not being fully waterproof they will keep out the rain for 3km.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Waterproof shorts if it is hot or waterproof trousers if cold. I very rarely wear the waterproof trousers over my normal trousers, just the waterproofs.

Nothing keeps your feet dry, overshoes included.
I am always looking for the ideal winter commuting footwear, a lightweight trail-shoe/boot style with a waterproof high boot length gaitor that functions only to keep water and dirt out, but not with bulky "support". I once saw a fell running boot like. Every boot high enough to keep water out also includes lots of padding and support.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
For 3km, I would not bother with the hassle and the downsides mentioned above.

Wear an old jean/trouser/jogging bottom whilst cycling, and put your smart trouser on at work.

Edit: You'll also avoid crotch wear on your nice trousers
I’d go with this. Just carry dry trousers and shoes and change at work. There are a zillion different ways to carry stuff on a Brommie. I know, I also cycle camp with mine.
By the way. You are a real cyclist.
Welcome!

Brains

Legendary Member
Not everybody likes them but Rainlegs keep the thighs dry without the hindrance of overtrousers.
I find them particularly useful in sub zero tempertures because they prevent the thighs from numbing in the cold.

Another plus one for Rainlegs. A brilliant product, they live in my panniers or Brompton CBag all year around
I gave up with waterproof trousers on the bike years ago.

https://www.rainlegs.com/en/about.html

I usually do - the shins of the trousers get wet walking, so people don't look at you odd while they dry out. It's a sodden lap which is unappealing IMO.

When I use overtrousers, I have to slow right down to avoid saturating the trousers with sweat - and I don't even sweat much. When it's not too windy, a rain cape is better.

How would a cape work? It also sounds terribly un-aero whether its windy or not.

Top Bottom