New Commuter, anybody use waterproof over trousers regularly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shornby

Regular
For 3km, I would not bother with the hassle and the downsides mentioned above.

Wear an old jean/trouser/jogging bottom whilst cycling, and put your smart trouser on at work.

Edit: You'll also avoid crotch wear on your nice trousers
Definetly use Quality neoprene overshoes but do nt peel them off completely
Leave them still over the shoe plates
This makes it way quicker when you come to put them on to leave work

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did have a favorite pair of waterproof trousers, intended for walking, but they got stolen from my panniers - who would do that??

upload_2018-12-18_9-9-24.png

byegad

Legendary Member
Not everybody likes them but Rainlegs keep the thighs dry without the hindrance of overtrousers.
I find them particularly useful in sub zero tempertures because they prevent the thighs from numbing in the cold.
+1 for Rainlegs. Worn with shorts they are more than enough, in winter wear leggings and they'll keep your calf warm enough over 3k.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
what are these rain legs like? I'm really confused as surly your lets are going to still get wet when you get splashed etc, or am I missing the point lol

They don't really stop you getting wet but they keep you warm without being sweaty.

I use them with full mudguards and find that the lower legs do still get pretty wet but they keep the thighs and knees merely damp. More importantly, they cut the windchill down massively since the thighs seem to be a major source of heat loss.

They also have the advantage that you can wear them rolled up as a belt in iffy weather and quickly deploy them when the rain actually starts. There's none of that hopping up and down that you get trying to get into overtrousers either.

HemelChris

They don't really stop you getting wet but they keep you warm without being sweaty.

I use them with full mudguards and find that the lower legs do still get pretty wet but they keep the thighs and knees merely damp. More importantly, they cut the windchill down massively since the thighs seem to be a major source of heat loss.

They also have the advantage that you can wear them rolled up as a belt in iffy weather and quickly deploy them when the rain actually starts. There's none of that hopping up and down that you get trying to get into overtrousers either.

ok thanks for explaining that I did wonder, think I just stick to my waterproofs

Top Bottom