New Commuter, anybody use waterproof over trousers regularly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I swear by my pakkamac style rain trousers. They take up little weight and space but keep the legs dry when it's chucking it down. Just check the rain rating on them and go for a pair which can stand heavy showers.

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Just to update this I ended up buying a pair of Boardman branded waterproof over trousers, mainly because I could try them on at the local Halfrauds (my legs are pretty long..) First use of them today in anger ie full rain and wetness on the commute, and they worked out well.

Thank you to everybody that contributed, I was very tempted by the rain legs but not sure I would have gained anything over the very light full waterproofs other than a few grams of weight?

si_c

Guru
Just to update this I ended up buying a pair of Boardman branded waterproof over trousers, mainly because I could try them on at the local Halfrauds (my legs are pretty long..) First use of them today in anger ie full rain and wetness on the commute, and they worked out well.

Thank you to everybody that contributed, I was very tempted by the rain legs but not sure I would have gained anything over the very light full waterproofs other than a few grams of weight?
Glad you've got a working solution.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Im one for change at work, i cant be doing with over trousers.
I use waterproof mtb shorts ,mt500 which work great when i re nikewax them...
The only thing i find truly waterproof for commuting is my Van:laugh:

Trevrev

Veteran
I've got some Altura Night Vision ones. They are well made and have zipped calves and Velcro ankle cuffs. The fabric is quite heavy and they seem to be completely waterproof. They are pretty comfortable but totally uncool hipster wise. I was surprised at how rarely they are needed for my eleven mile round-trip commute. It doesn't seem to rain very often here in London.

I have a pair of these. Very well made and do the job well. I just sweat buckets in them. I just get wet now.
I generally use them for wet walks. Which is rare. :smile:

icowden

Veteran
Agree with you slomotion. I seldom need the waterproof trousers, but it's quite nice to have them when the skies have opened in a grand deluge.

jay clock

Massive member
I do a very short couple miles in London from station to office and have never had waterproof trousers. If it looks very rainy I will wear a pair of cycling tights and change when I get there. Lucikly current dress code is smart casual so decent jeans etc are fine

I also have a pair of these which are fairly weatherproof and look amazingly un-nylon and don't make a rustling noise https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/endura...MI8MLM052O3gIVy-F3Ch2m8Aq0EAQYBCABEgLsWfD_BwE

icowden

Veteran
I cycle in a different out fit to that which I wear at the office. Spare socks are essential though.

HemelChris

what are these rain legs like? I'm really confused as surly your lets are going to still get wet when you get splashed etc, or am I missing the point lol

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

they work as most of the rain that falls on you falls onto your thighs (which are protected by the rain legs) as for a lot of the time they are horizontal, your lower legs are usually vertical so dont get covered as much.

subaqua

What’s the point
I've got some Altura Night Vision ones. They are well made and have zipped calves and Velcro ankle cuffs. The fabric is quite heavy and they seem to be completely waterproof. They are pretty comfortable but totally uncool hipster wise. I was surprised at how rarely they are needed for my eleven mile round-trip commute. It doesn't seem to rain very often here in London.

These are what I have too. They just work .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I turned a pair of full length cheapish w/p trousers into 3/4 lengths.
Much less hot to cycle in - but still keep thighs and knees dry - and no risk of lower end getting caught in chain.

And loads cheaper than dedicated cycling w/p's

Tights or whatever is underneath, can be pulled up to avoid the wet.

Wear waterproof socks - or change out of wet ones them when you get to your destination.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I turned a pair of full length cheapish w/p trousers into 3/4 lengths.
Much less hot to cycle in - but still keep thighs and knees dry - and no risk of lower end getting caught in chain.

And loads cheaper than dedicated cycling w/p's

Tights or whatever is underneath, can be pulled up to avoid the wet.

Wear waterproof socks - or change out of wet ones them when you get to your destination.
I did the same, took the scissors to a cheapo pair of wps paired with some wp socks from Aldi, does the job without the boil in the bag effect.
I did have a favorite pair of waterproof trousers, intended for walking, but they got stolen from my panniers - who would do that?? :rolleyes:
If it's warm I don't bother, I just get wet, but here in winter being wet makes you immediately freezing.

Top Bottom