New Commuter, anybody use waterproof over trousers regularly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukoldschool

Hi all,

New Brommie london commuter here (please don't judge ;)), Im certainly not a 'proper' cyclist as home to station is just under 3k, station to work the other end is just over 1k so Im not exactly breaking any distance or speed records..

Currently commuting in work shirt and trousers, shoes left at work but have been caught out a couple of times by the rain resulting in very wet thighs... so I wondered if anyone had any experience of a decent pair of waterproof overtrousers, or any general advice that they are good/bad, work/dont work etc?

Many thanks :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I use overtrousers for my 10 mile 'fast' commute when it is raining hard. I have shower and changing facilities at work but the overtrousers are effective at stopping me getting saturated so at least my cycling gear is dry for me to wear on the way home. They also go over the outside of my overshoes so my feet can stay dry regardless of how biblical the downpour becomes.
They are from Endura, I think they are the Gridlock trouser but are a few years old now so look a bit different to the current offering.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
For the occasions where I don't want wet legs I keep a pair of Decathlon waterproof overtrousers in the bag. Waterproof, but not very breathable. On th eplus side, cheap and pack down small, come with little shoe covers built in which are handy.

si_c

Guru
Hi and Welcome!

I don't use overtrousers myself anymore (I have full changing facilities at work, so I keep all my stuff there), but when I did I found that as long as they are sufficient to cover the full length of your legs then anything decent will do.

The key things to look out for are adjustable cuffs at the bottom, you want something that you can open up or close so you can get your feet in or out without taking shoes off.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I don't, mainly because my commute is 12 miles each way and I keep suits at work. My work's also got a drying room which helps.

However there are a few who use Rainlegs, which keep your thighs dry.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However there are a few who use Rainlegs, which keep your thighs dry.
I usually do - the shins of the trousers get wet walking, so people don't look at you odd while they dry out. It's a sodden lap which is unappealing IMO.

When I use overtrousers, I have to slow right down to avoid saturating the trousers with sweat - and I don't even sweat much. When it's not too windy, a rain cape is better.

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Thank you for all the replies!

I agree that the thighs is the one places that its really horrible to be soggy in for me so far... so rainlegs looks like a good option maybe? I guess ill try a pair of the overtrousers to start with and report back, Halfrauds seem to sell some broadman branded ones that seem ok and have the adjustable cuffs :smile:

thank you all!

snorri

Legendary Member
At less than 3km and not rushing unduly, you are unlikely to have sweat problems even with cheapo waterproof trousers.
I use an old pair of Paramo overtrousers throughout the winter, wet or dry, they are lined which keeps the legs warm in the colder weather and also a baggy fit which does not restrict knee action when pedalling.
Eeeek! I've just looked at their website, expensive but definitely good quality.
https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/?attributes=5A01410B-7BF6-46CC-8A97-FFEA0A577F6E

PS You are a proper cyclist!

OP
OP
ukoldschool

ukoldschool

haha!!

In my defense the 2.7km (yes, I have measured it...) to the station is up and down a rather large hill, which means I get to use the mythical brompton 2nd gear on the way up (who on earth would/could use the 1st gear I have no idea...), and 6th on the way down, braking for cars that are observing some sort of speed limit? :laugh:, but as I havnt cycled in anger since I had a bmx in the late 80's I am certainly feeling it, if not actually sweating buckets :smile:

I have just purchased by second pair of Montane atomic DT over trousers, the first lasted about 8 years. They are pretty light and compact to stash in a bag. The new ones still have lower leg cinching and poppers which are essential on the bike plus they have longer zips. Reasonably breathable for everyday riding, very good in Siberian cold winds. You need to sort out water running off the bottom so it doesn't go inside your shoes.
I had a good look around and couldn't find anything better at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got some Altura Night Vision ones. They are well made and have zipped calves and Velcro ankle cuffs. The fabric is quite heavy and they seem to be completely waterproof. They are pretty comfortable but totally uncool hipster wise. I was surprised at how rarely they are needed for my eleven mile round-trip commute. It doesn't seem to rain very often here in London.

KneesUp

Guru
Last winter we had a second car so I didn't ride if it was raining on the way in, and obviously it matters much less on the way home, especially as I don't wear suits to work. However, we got rid of the second car as it was just used to commute and I didn't want the excuse not to ride, so I'll need something this winter. My dad used to commute back in the day and I recall him being largely disparaging of the waterproof trouser - too much of a faff, and far too hot, as I recall. So I'm considering 2 options

a) take spare clothes
b) a cape

I quite like the cape idea.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My dad used to commute back in the day and I recall him being largely disparaging of the waterproof trouser - too much of a faff, and far too hot, as I recall. So I'm considering 2 options

a) take spare clothes
b) a cape

I quite like the cape idea.
A cape is still more faff than a jacket, especially if you loop it around the handlebars, and slightly more than rainlegs, but it is less faff than waterproof trousers IMO. I'd say length is critical: you want the front to reach the handlebars, but the back not to reach your back wheel unless you've a coatguard fitted. More discussion of capes at https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/waterproof-rain-cape.207940/ and the riding-in-the-rain link.

pawl

Legendary Member
A cape is still more faff than a jacket, especially if you loop it around the handlebars, and slightly more than rainlegs, but it is less faff than waterproof trousers IMO. I'd say length is critical: you want the front to reach the handlebars, but the back not to reach your back wheel unless you've a coatguard fitted. More discussion of capes at https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/waterproof-rain-cape.207940/ and the riding-in-the-rain link.

Capes are great fun especially in a side wind.one of my club mates got blow of the road into a ditch. He was pretty light weight doubt if he weighed more than 8stone wet through.If using a cape a sowester is essential to complete the look.

Top Bottom