Waterproof rain cape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Especially good for pilgramages according to the product details. Good to know.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Contemplating buying one as they would appear to better at keeping you dry than jacket and tights, just mulling it over at present.
I think so, but be prepared for getting on and off the bike to be less easy and it's really not aero. In heavy rain, you'll need to give the front the occasional push to prevent too much water pooling on it.

But I find it is drier. Much less risk of sweating, too.

Will Spin

Über Member
I used to have one many years ago and my memories of it were mainly good, it kept me reasonably dry on all day group rides. With this in mind I bought one a couple of years back, this time round I didn't like it at all, mainly because it acted like a giant sail, great if the wind is behind you but otherwise a severe handicap in anything less than a gentle breeze. The other problem was that as previously stated, a large quantity of water collected in the dip in the fabric just behind the handlebars, requiring frequent emptying....but don't let me put you off!

Goggs

Guru
Back in the day a cape was the only option. We all used them in the CTC. I remember when I first joined (at the age of 13) I was not going to be seen dead in one. The first couple of rides in the rain with the club were done with me wearing waterproof trousers & a cagoule. Soaked to the skin with sweat, never mind the rain. I lost a couple of stones probably. I saved up for a Pakit(?) cape and never looked back. It's a great feeling cycling in the rain in shorts, kept largely dry & cool by a cape. I never see them these days though because I guess the advent of Gore-Tex put paid to capes.

mjr

I used to have one many years ago and my memories of it were mainly good, it kept me reasonably dry on all day group rides. With this in mind I bought one a couple of years back, this time round I didn't like it at all, mainly because it acted like a giant sail, great if the wind is behind you but otherwise a severe handicap in anything less than a gentle breeze.
Like lots of things (unusual gearing, different bike types), it probably works better on group rides if several people are using them. Then you're going to get some shelter from the sail in front for some of the time and you won't have so many BLANKS taking photos while it takes you longer to get on/off the bike at the cake stop.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to wear one regularly......back in the 50/60s. Did the job well.
But......its only a REAL cape if its made from oil-skin and smells slightly of fish :smile:

mjr

Goggs

Guru
I used to wear one regularly......back in the 50/60s. Did the job well.
But......its only a REAL cape if its made from oil-skin and smells slightly of fish :smile:

The slagging I got from the traditionalists when I turned up with my Pakit is something I'll never forget.

robgul

Legendary Member
A good old-style cycle cape is the best thing I've ever used (mine is still rolled up and strapped to the top of a saddle-bag although I seldom use it) - downsides are primarily related to aerodynamics and strength of the wind. Wind behind you and it works like a sail, headwind and it's hard work pedaling, cross-wind and you get blown about . . .

I've come to the conclusion that if you're on a bike and it's raining you're going to get soaked regardless of what sort of waterproof you have - so you may as well just grin and bear it

Rob

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I use a cape for those few commutes when the rain is really heavy. Definitely keeps the feet dry for much longer (assuming your bike has guards and a good mudflap). Also keeps your hands dry- which is nice in the winter.

Top Bottom