New Commuting Bike/Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Following today's rear ending on the way home I've discovered a fatal crack in my Dolan Preffisio in the down tube just below the head tube junction.
I've said to myself that when I do replace the bike I'll go to disc brakes as I'm tired of rims lasting little more than a year of all-weather commuting.
This means economically I should probably get a complete bike and change out the bits I want to (bars, saddle etc.).
As I cancelled my cycling weekly sub quite a while ago, I need help on options.
I think I'm after:
  1. Road type bike rather than hybrid or Gravel
  2. Full Mudguards
  3. Pannier sub question, do I need a disc specific pannier?
  4. Hydraulic discs, Tiagra or 105
  5. Current availability! (I'm a 'medium'/54cm ish, 5' 10" 32inch inside leg.)
  6. Budget around £1500~£2000 I guess.
So far I've looked at the 105 version of the Dolan RDX wonder what other options there might be.
A subsidiary issue is coping with modern geometry. My now banjaxxed medium frame had a 54cm effective top tube and 51cm seat tube, but looking at the RDX a small would be closer in geometry ( and give a more 'pro' look with exposed seat tube etc.!)

If I had infinite storage and cash I'd get a direct replacement, a single speed and a gravel bike or hard tail MTB (they're increasingly nearly the same thing apparently). But I don't.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Shame I think you’re up north as I’ve got the almost perfect bike for sale way under your budget 😂

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You are in Titanium Territory with your budget. Several options from Planet X would fit the bill;
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXHURRIV/planet-x-hurricane-sram-rival-22-hrd-titanium-road-bike

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you escaped being badly hurt in the collision! Shame about the bike though...

I agree with @Spiderweb... I am on the Planet X mailing list and they have some very tempting new bikes.

I bought a used Planet X from Venod's son in the summer and am happy with that.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I read about your incident on the commuting thread, hope you get the insurance sorted.

Have you thought about Ligh Blue bikes, I have seen a few in the bike shop and they certainly look the part, steel too. Bicycle Doctor in Rusholme have one in Small/Medium in stock.

https://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/bik...2-105-r7000-105-disc-road-bike-in-green__2532

Not sure if you have ever used that shop but they have been very good for my and my friends.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Looks good @GeekDadZoid but no carbon fork and extra to get hydraulics, although the Spyres would be perfectly adequate. Pretty uninspired colour scheme but a steel frame would preferable to a shiny tit for me. :smile:

They look very classy in real life.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
+1 for the PX London Road Ti suggestion upthread. I recently acquired one and although I no longer commute it would make an excellent commuter machine. 5' 9" size medium with pics can be found on my post in the show us your Ti thread.

You will need to excuse the splatter on the back tyre in that pic, it literally is pig shoot.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
+1 for the PX London Road Ti suggestion upthread. I recently acquired one and although I no longer commute it would make an excellent commuter machine. 5' 9" size medium with pics can be found on my post in the show us your Ti thread.

You will need to excuse the splatter on the back tyre in that pic, it literally is pig shoot.
Your Mudguards on your London Road TI look great, what brand are they?

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM 1x though and the OP does express a wish for a Shimano double (maybe because he didn’t think about an alternative)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
SRAM 1x though and the OP does express a wish for a Shimano double (maybe because he didn’t think about an alternative)
Yep - noted but thought it still worth an endorsement. I was not particularly keen on x1 and especially on SRAM (I'm a Shimano fan boy). But couldn't say no to the rest of the spec for the money and worked out the gearing options would cover 99% of my requirements. Does feel a bit alien not having a left side shifter paddle mind you...

Top Bottom