New cycle lane in Ayr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ripping it up seems like a sensible proposition, along with all the other half baked cycle "facilities" across the UK..

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't know how much those bollards cost to buy and fit but a lot more than a white line on the floor I would think. I don't like those blocks on the floor and the coloured surface either. They are not necessary.

I wonder if there is such a thing as making car drivers too aware of cyclists.
Their eyes must be drawn to it constantly,making it a danger instead of safe.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
I'm thick. At least today I am. I genuinely cannot fathom the purpose of the bollards.
Handy reminder every 10 yards that you are on a cycle path because the blue isn't enough of a clue? Stop cyclists recklessly crossing into the opposite 'carriageway' for ludicrously dangerous overtakes?
Nope, still don't get it.

U

User6179

I'm thick. At least today I am. I genuinely cannot fathom the purpose of the bollards.
Handy reminder every 10 yards that you are on a cycle path because the blue isn't enough of a clue? Stop cyclists recklessly crossing into the opposite 'carriageway' for ludicrously dangerous overtakes?
Nope, still don't get it.

Maybe the bollards are to stop people parking !?

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Maybe the bollards are to stop people parking !?
I did wonder about that, but it's painted blue, has a white centreline and those concrete bumps between it and the cars. I know car drivers can be ar$es, but is that really necessary? I suppose it must be. But you'd still think they could maybe put them between the road and the cycleway to the same end? Ah well, I can only conclude that, as you say, anti-parking seems most likely.

A further thought then occurs as to why so insubstantial? (they look like plastic anchored on cat's eyes, but i suppose could be full of concrete, hard to tell). To allow emergency services to blue and two it down there if the road is blocked with traffic using bollards as skittles as they go? They are quite substantial enough to have you off your bike in a jiffy, but not enough to stop a determined car or van. Ah well.

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member

U

User6179

I did wonder about that, but it's painted blue, has a white centreline and those concrete bumps between it and the cars. I know car drivers can be ar$es, but is that really necessary? I suppose it must be. But you'd still think they could maybe put them between the road and the cycleway to the same end? Ah well, I can only conclude that, as you say, anti-parking seems most likely.

A further thought then occurs as to why so insubstantial? (they look like plastic anchored on cat's eyes, but i suppose could be full of concrete, hard to tell). To allow emergency services to blue and two it down there if the road is blocked with traffic using bollards as skittles as they go? They are quite substantial enough to have you off your bike in a jiffy, but not enough to stop a determined car or van. Ah well.

Theres a couple of bollards like that on a path near me , I will give them a kick the next time I go by ^_^

U

User6179

More bollards needed I think

JS99680818.jpg

Top Bottom