New cycle lane in Ayr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
:banghead:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

e-rider

crappy member
Although this cycle lane might not have been designed well (like most cycle lanes in this country) it appears that the objection primarily comes from motorists who are not happy that taxpayers money has been spent on a cycling 'facility' - this is just another arm of the 'we hate cyclists' motoring group

If you want to see a significant improvement in cycle infrastructure and a change in the attitude of motorists I'd recommend moving to another country becasue it isn't going to happen in the UK in this lifetime!

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
It is not the motorists that are complaining about this lane. It is the householders that can't get access to their houses or visiting friends park outside them
Also the main cemetery is on this road, for large funerals cars overflow onto the road. There has been no problem with this until now, but now the whole road gets blocked. Even a bus stopping causes a tailback.
Work started ripping it up yesterday.

glasgowcyclist

It is the householders that can't get access to their houses

I find that hard to believe. Can you show an example, perhaps via Google's street view?

e-rider

crappy member
It is not the motorists that are complaining about this lane. It is the householders that can't get access to their houses or visiting friends park outside them
Also the main cemetery is on this road, for large funerals cars overflow onto the road. There has been no problem with this until now, but now the whole road gets blocked. Even a bus stopping causes a tailback.
Work started ripping it up yesterday.
I followed a few of the links for this story and there were several 'motorists' complaining - the articles didn't state whether they were local residents or not. I also find it hard to believe that driveways to houses were blocked

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
The driveways were not blocked as such. Bollards were fitted on cycle lane at either side of driveway blocking any parking at houses and cars from drives had to reverse right out onto main road. Not good on a busy A road

glasgowcyclist

The driveways were not blocked as such. Bollards were fitted on cycle lane at either side of driveway blocking any parking at houses and cars from drives had to reverse right out onto main road. Not good on a busy A road

Ah, okay. Reversing out of a driveway isn't clever and I'm guessing they did that even before the bollards went in. The loss of on road parking for visitors is tough luck, free parking outside your house doesn't come as standard with a car.

From what I can tell, the road was a single carriageway, two lanes, one each direction and had a painted cycle lane either side. Now, the cycle lane is a segregated two-way lane on one side of the road. All that's changed is the cycle lane is now out of bounds to cars. Road capacity is no different, it's still two lanes, one each direction.

It appears what's irked the locals is loss of the ability to abuse the old painted lanes.

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
These clowns are in action again, The grass verge just outside the village of Coylton is too narrow for a cycle lane so they have bought a slice of land for an undisclosed sum from the land owner. More wasted money!

toffee

Guru
These clowns are in action again, The grass verge just outside the village of Coylton is too narrow for a cycle lane so they have bought a slice of land for an undisclosed sum from the land owner. More wasted money!

Why is that a waste?

Top Bottom