New cycle lane in Ayr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Because there are plenty of C class roads going the same way but for some unknown reason the cycle lane has to run alongside the busy A70

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Both options put the route to the very busy Holmston Roundabout on the A77 / A70, it is bad enough trying to get through it in a car.
On option 2, if they followed the river on the existing cycle path ( Ayr to Auchencruvie ) that goes under the A77 and open up an overgrown right of way that goes onto the A70 east of the roundabout the job would be done and the roundabout bypassed. I have tried going through this roundabout on a bike, it is dicing with death.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Why are these twits so intent on mixing cyclists with pedestrians?!
Because if done well it works.

The three cycle paths I use the most, one is wide and mixed pedestrians and cyclists. There is a subtle (slightly lighter) "line" down the middle which means people are pretty good at moving onto one "half" of the path when asked. Works really well as long as you have a bell on your bike.

The two others have two narrower, separate paths for cyclists and pedestrians. All that happens is that pedestrians just walk on both paths, I assume because the cycle path is slightly wider. This includes especially for some reason dog walkers, resulting in much slower progress.

Put the path along/adjacent to the road and it either becomes an excuse for close passes or a car park.

Quite possibly the reason why none of them work is because they are all used so inconsistently and signed even more consistently no-one really has a bloody clue what is going on.

Top Bottom