New cyclists that give up after a few weeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hello again.
Whilst out on my bike ride tonight I got thinking as to why a lot of new cyclists give up riding after a few weeks ,of there newly found interest.. You often see bike ad,s on eBay etc on the lines of " used a couple of times and have no time to use it" blah ,blah blah..
Is it the road traffic that puts new cyclists off ,or the fact they have bought an ill fitting bike that's completely unsuitable for there needs.
The summer time always seem to be the peak time when you see new faces peddling there nice new shiny bikes on the road. It always seem to peak after a well publicised bike race like the Tour de France ,and then theres a raft of newbies sporting some expensive looking team replica bike and dressed to break the laws in physics in time trialling.
.As soon as the winter grip takes hold they all seem to disappear never to be seen again..I too, must admit to losing my focus on my cycling sometimes. When i first got back into it last year, i rode all my miles for just the sole intention of enjoying getting outside and clearing my head of all the crap that was going on in my life at the time.
As time went by i started to realise my belly was getting smaller and that i was starting to ride further and quicker. I noticed that i was becoming more and more obsessed with my average speed / miles and endurance. Suddenly out of the blue i started to realise that i was now not enjoying my bike rides as much as i did. Coming home absolutely cream crackered because i was pushing my self to the limit was all very well when admiring my fastest ever time, but i was now missing out on enjoying the lovely country side that surrounds my area because i was to focused on pushing myself.. Gone where the stops by the lake side or taking in the spectacular evening sunsets. It was a case of bike out the door , cycle hard for a good hour and then collapse on the sofa when i got home.
The last few weeks though I've made a conscious effort to slow my pace down and enjoy my cycling again. The magic of cycling has now come back again ,and once again look forward to getting out for a ride after work. I think it's all to easy to get "sucked " into the wrong kind of cycling when you get to over enthusiastic about your new found interest. Sometimes i think we need to take a step back and re evaluate the real reasons for cycling enjoyment. It kind of makes you wonder if new cyclists expect" to much to soon " from there new found hobby ,that ends it all to quickly for them ,and a new bike languishing in the garage for months on end before being sold on.
If your still awake after reading that i appluad you .
Take care out there .
Johnny :-)

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Great post.

I like to focus on the mechanics of the bike also. I taught myself bike mechanics by watching youtube videos. Clean the chain and the drivetrain on a regular basis and keep the wheels true.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A lot of people will look at the boom in cycling, watch the Tour de France maybe and decide "I'll have some of that". So they buy a bike, ride it round the block a few times and think it's great. Then they go for a proper ride, their legs hurt and their lungs burn, their arse aches and they think, "Stuff this, no one said it would be this hard". So they give up. Cycling, like anything else, is not for everyone.

Milzy

Guru
Hello again.
Whilst out on my bike ride tonight I got thinking as to why a lot of new cyclists give up riding after a few weeks ,of there newly found interest.. You often see bike ad,s on eBay etc on the lines of " used a couple of times and have no time to use it" blah ,blah blah..
Is it the road traffic that puts new cyclists off ,or the fact they have bought an ill fitting bike that's completely unsuitable for there needs.
The summer time always seem to be the peak time when you see new faces peddling there nice new shiny bikes on the road. It always seem to peak after a well publicised bike race like the Tour de France ,and then theres a raft of newbies sporting some expensive looking team replica bike and dressed to break the laws in physics in time trialling.
.As soon as the winter grip takes hold they all seem to disappear never to be seen again..I too, must admit to losing my focus on my cycling sometimes. When i first got back into it last year, i rode all my miles for just the sole intention of enjoying getting outside and clearing my head of all the crap that was going on in my life at the time.
As time went by i started to realise my belly was getting smaller and that i was starting to ride further and quicker. I noticed that i was becoming more and more obsessed with my average speed / miles and endurance. Suddenly out of the blue i started to realise that i was now not enjoying my bike rides as much as i did. Coming home absolutely cream crackered because i was pushing my self to the limit was all very well when admiring my fastest ever time, but i was now missing out on enjoying the lovely country side that surrounds my area because i was to focused on pushing myself.. Gone where the stops by the lake side or taking in the spectacular evening sunsets. It was a case of bike out the door , cycle hard for a good hour and then collapse on the sofa when i got home.
The last few weeks though I've made a conscious effort to slow my pace down and enjoy my cycling again. The magic of cycling has now come back again ,and once again look forward to getting out for a ride after work. I think it's all to easy to get "sucked " into the wrong kind of cycling when you get to over enthusiastic about your new found interest. Sometimes i think we need to take a step back and re evaluate the real reasons for cycling enjoyment. It kind of makes you wonder if new cyclists expect" to much to soon " from there new found hobby ,that ends it all to quickly for them ,and a new bike languishing in the garage for months on end before being sold on.
If your still awake after reading that i appluad you .
Take care out there .
Johnny :-)
It's all about performance.

No just kidding others pressure my self and a friend into pushing hard and going for segments etc. Some times we just tootle down country lanes chatting and it's more enjoyable. I believe excercise can be good for the mind but when you always push extremely hard, you can become irritable and snappy because you're so exuasted. Then you put off doing other things. Same with running. You train hard because your rivals are and every session becomes a painful chore. You're not going to win a gold medal

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't think it's any different from a lot of activities/hobbies that people get enthusiastic about at the start. Some of them don't turn out to as much fun as was anticipated. I was given a second-hand bike twelve years ago and rode it a few times before giving it away. Three years later, I tried it again and I was hooked.

I used to cycle everywhere before I learnt how to drive. The bike was transport, first and foremost. Then I fell out of cycling for around 15 years or so, only taking it up again last summer because I was in need of some exercise.

Had planned on buying a new bike, but stuck out the first three and a half months on my old and badly-fitting bike to see if I could stick it prior to splurging.

These last few months I've been looking after my mum following major surgery, and the bike's been my escape, no matter how cold or dark it's been outside. It's been good to just get outside and leave my problems behind for an hour and a half or so. The bike's also been pressed into doing commuting duties as well. Though now that the pressure's off some, it's just been great to get out, especially now that the days are getting longer and the weather's getting better.

Am not worried about times and speeds etc, don't have any gizmos or strava etc. Just enjoy being out on the bike.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Yes, I've noticed a lot of bikes for sale, hardly used and a certain brand or brands sold by a popular national bike chain which participates in the C2W scheme. Examples being Boardmans and Carreras, often sold on the basis that used only handful of times or never used in the rain.

Top Bottom