New cyclists that give up after a few weeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, you live in fen hell but not all of it's that bad.

Actually, there are some really lovely rides out here. The reason why the ride into town can be a 'mare into a headwind is that most of it's uphill as well LOL :laugh: People say the fens are flat - well, they are, but all the villages and towns are built on what used to be islands, so you gotta climb the hills to get there... :whistle:

And Ely is the highest point for miles around. :bicycle:

adamangler

Veteran
Because cycling is not always enjoyable. My motivation comes and goes, I can ride 3-4 times a week then nothing for a few weeks, odd ride then a break etc.

I don't enjoy going out in the cold or bad weather that's just a chore to me. After coming home from work o don't always feel like dragging the bike out and likewise on a weekend I might not fancy spending 3-4 hours riding when I have other things to do.

So why a lot of nooks quit is because it's probably an impulse buy and once they get bores instead of waiting for motivation to return they will sell up. They will probably buy another a few months later.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Mr j you have done your sums wrong.
The climbs are usually between 4 and 12% you go up and down and there are flat sections. Not 50 miles at 3% the whole way. Which i might add would be a pretty grueling day out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mr j you have done your sums wrong.
But at least I can read usernames :tongue:
The climbs are usually between 4 and 12% you go up and down and there are flat sections. Not 50 miles at 3% the whole way. Which i might add would be a pretty grueling day out.
...and typical of a ride across the fens into a headwind. Those of you who live in the hills have it easy because there's always a rest just over the brow ;)

4% is a climb now? :laugh:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
4% over 50 miles is a climb. Yes it is. I never wrote anything about headwinds being easier than climbs. i think they are horrible and soul destroying and if you check back i have already agreed that is another reason newbies give up.
Can we stop this pissing contest and now agree with what i originally posted " nobody told them that cycling is a bloody hard sport"
I'll modify that by adding , where ever you ride.

Top Bottom