New cyclists that give up after a few weeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have done many a ride that was horrible, if I had been new to the idea I could have easily packed up.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I've known a few people who tried getting into cycling and quit very quickly.

They were all on cheap and/or old and abused bikes which I'm sure didn't help but they understandably didn't want to drop a load of money on something they might not like.

Saddle comfort was a big problem for some. I know part of that is just getting used to it but some people, including me, have a lot of difficulty finding a saddle that's remotely comfortable. I wonder if most keen cyclists just happened to have the right bum that fits most saddles?

Cars were the biggest issue by far though. I think you have to be at the upper end of the stubbornness/belligerence spectrum to enjoy riding around them. It would explain why most riders are young to middle-aged men.

They discover golf, and fishing. It's a slippery slope after that. But seriously, cycling is tougher than it looks, or at least that's what they believe, and it's not for everyone, but hey, this sort of thing guarantees a supply of nice bikes, and bits, for much cheapness. It's not all bad.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Can't argue with the fact that those who cycle and quit have supplied lots of bicycles, accessories and cash to me over the years. I'm glad we are starting a Co op here I'm town. I think if people have a bit of work in the game, they will more dedicated.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
A lot is about expectation and motivation. How did they expect cycling to feel, what did they want to get out of it? If the equipment is poor or they don't have a goal to provide the motivation, then they won't stick with it.

When I was doing a lot of running, a new guy started running with us. He had a strong swimming background and quickly got up to a good standard with his running. I suggested that, with his background and basic fitness, he would be very competitive in triathlon. So he got a bike and started training, but gave up after only a month or so because he just could not get used to riding in traffic and was basically too scared to go out on the roads.

davidphilips

Veteran
Theres also the new cyclist that has been bought a bike as a present or indeed bought it them self talked into it by well meaning work friends who all where going to buy a bike on a ride to work scheme and save a fortune on travel.

Then after trying cycling to work perhaps in heavy rain with a few cars coming a bit close arriving tired cold and wet works all day, then hey ho of to home he goes in the rain on a bike wishing some one had stolen the bike and thinking of the best way to get rid of the beastly thing.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
The reasons some people would quote for giving up is the same ones that I would use as to what exactly hooked me on it and why. I was used to working outdoors all my life then decided to take a cushy office job. When I first took the bike to work, most people laughed and commented that now I had done it, I would never do it again. This alone would normally be enough for me to keep going just to prove them wrong, which it did for a while. I was never really completely hooked until I was caught by the weather. Again, most people laughed as I only cycled on the bright summer mornings. One afternoon, big black doom clouds descended over Glasgow and my heart sank. I knew that I just had to go for it, and about halfway home, just as the rain was at its worst, I realised that I was loving it. I was used to a physical challenge in my old life and this was the nearest I was going to get to it in my new life. Wish I used a bit more energy doing this instead of wasting it working for a living.

MiK1138

Veteran
For me its the social aspect that kept me interested, When I first started I would go out full of good intentions then get bored after 10 miles, It wasn't until I Joined a local group that I started doing bigger rides. I think this may be a problem for some newbies there either isn't a group to join or they don't know how to connect to said groups.

JoshM

My sister would make an excellent triathlete. She was an almost international level swimmer as a teenager, is a reasonable runner when she puts her mind to it (which admittidly isn't often) and is some built for endurance sport being thin and reasonably tall. She point blank refuses to get on a bike though; she remembers the cheap, heavy, badly maintained and poorly fitting mountain bikes we rode as children, and nothing I can say will persuade her to try my light, well maintained and properly fitted road bike (we're not too different in size). She's been forever put off riding because she used the wrong bike forvthe wrong job. I doubt she's alone. I went to Halfords for my first bike. I said I wanted something to commute on, and do some utility riding. I came away with a hybrid that was probably closer to a mountain bike than anything else. It was an alright bike but it wasn't a commuter. I imagine many people have, like me, been sold the wrong bike, only to be put off like my sister. I'm just too stupid to give up!

I can certainly concur about riding a clunker - my old MTB is just that, and I've only ridden it twice in the four and a bit months since I got the road bike.

The frame was too big for me (not by a great deal, but enough to create problems), it was heavy and it had an annoying habit of chucking the chain off the cassette no matter what I did to the rear mech. On a cold, wet, dark commute, when you have to keep stopping to put the chain back on, it's easy to hate cycling with a passion.

On the other hand, riding a bike that a) fits, b) is light and c) the mechanicals work / play ball makes a real world of difference...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was a cyclist all my life until motorbikes came along. Then aged 32 I spotted a Raleigh Maverick in a shop window and realised it was exactly the bike I'd always wanted. Bought it on the spot and jumped on it, unadjusted and tyres too soft, to ride the 7 miles home. By the time I got home I was absolutely shattered and I didn't touch the bike again for several months.

I'd be willing to bet though that the ratio of persisters to failers is about 10:1.

Top Bottom