New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I drove mid 1970s LRs a lot, proper use of the vehicles, off road, etc etc. As said, we did break them sometimes but the one thing they were was immense fun. Sit high, powerful but not performance, rugged, etc etc. Its a marmite thing, you either get it...or you don't.
Had a mate who worked in the road building business back in early 90s . His mode of transport about sites was a defender. It was immense what it was capable off on standard suspension etc. I still hanker for one but prices are stupid.

DRM

Guru
I’ve seen a few of these out and about now, not one of them looks like it’s got, or ever will get slightly muddy, it’s just a lifestyle vehicle now, even those that have stickers on advertising the drivers business, JLR have abandoned utility use to the various Japanese pick up brands, as older Defenders become unsustainable to keep running they’re going to be replaced with a pick up and scrapped, I can’t see many farmers/utility businesses refurbishing them to keep them going, even though it‘s pretty straightforward to stick a galvanised chassis under it and fit new brakes/pipes/hoses and get a further long life out of it, even though it would be cheaper than a new car, and better to keep it going environmentally Thant to build a brand new car.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve seen a few of these out and about now, not one of them looks like it’s got, or ever will get slightly muddy, it’s just a lifestyle vehicle now, even those that have stickers on advertising the drivers business, JLR have abandoned utility use to the various Japanese pick up brands, as older Defenders become unsustainable to keep running they’re going to be replaced with a pick up and scrapped, I can’t see many farmers/utility businesses refurbishing them to keep them going, even though it‘s pretty straightforward to stick a galvanised chassis under it and fit new brakes/pipes/hoses and get a further long life out of it, even though it would be cheaper than a new car, and better to keep it going environmentally Thant to build a brand new car.
Defenders still very much sought after . Just not farmers as quite rightly the Jap pickups have taken over !

GilesM

Legendary Member
I’ve seen a few of these out and about now, not one of them looks like it’s got, or ever will get slightly muddy, it’s just a lifestyle vehicle now,

When I finally get mine (delivery date has slipped by two weeks) I will post muddy pictures, whether that will or won't make it a lifestyle vehicle I have absolutely no idea, but I'm sure I will be smiling when I am adding the mud.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When I finally get mine (delivery date has slipped by two weeks) I will post muddy pictures, whether that will or won't make it a lifestyle vehicle I have absolutely no idea, but I'm sure I will be smiling when I am adding the mud.
Ohh another Chelsea tractor driver :laugh: now I don’t feel so alone :whistle:

GilesM

Legendary Member
Finally got a fixed delivery date of Friday 14th Jan, will post pics, hopefully a few in the showroom shine before the inevitable muddy ones. Looking forward to getting it, although I will be bit sad about selling the Evoque, it has been a great car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quicker delivery than most cars !

Finally got a fixed delivery date of Friday 14th Jan, will post pics, hopefully a few in the showroom shine before the inevitable muddy ones. Looking forward to getting it, although I will be bit sad about selling the Evoque, it has been a great car.
Are you getting the lunch box for the side window too ?

Top Bottom