New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Finally collected my new Defender on Friday, so far so good, weekend in Cumbria, 600miles and no need for Land Rover rescue yet.

1642412023135.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks good, now don't go over to the electric car threads, your planet destroying diesel will upset them. :blink:

GilesM

Legendary Member
Looks good, now don't go over to the electric car threads, your planet destroying diesel will upset them. :blink:
I'll tread carefully on that thread, if they find out my Defender is actually a planet destroying petrol powered one they'll be even more upset, but in reality electric car owners should be thanking me, all the VED, VAT, and petrol duty I'm paying is subsidising their car ownership.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll tread carefully on that thread, if they find out my Defender is actually a planet destroying petrol powered one they'll be even more upset, but in reality electric car owners should be thanking me, all the VED, VAT, and petrol duty I'm paying is subsidising their car ownership.

What engine is in the petrol ? Out of interest.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think that new Defender is a fantastic vehicle. Sure you can't fix it yourself as with the old one but no one was expecting that. Haven't been in one but the review says it's really comfortable over bumpy tracks and considering our roads are pretty much like bumpy tracks except they're layered with tarmac rather than gravel.

I would get the LWB model in basic spec, a ladder on the side, a roof rack. Chuck a couple of bikes in the back and we're rollin'!

GilesM

Legendary Member
What engine is in the petrol ? Out of interest.

3L Petrol, 6cyl, 400bhp, electric supercharger for low down umph and turbo for the higher revs, it also has a mild hybrid system for collecting energy during braking and re-using it during hard acceleration, the starter motor is a electric generator/motor and works with a 48v battery system, all very clever, but to put it simply it's a lovely car to drive, overtaking is easy and fun, and it makes a lovely noise when you press the loud pedal. A brief bit (about 1 mile) of very muddy track on Saturday was fun, hopefully more of that to come, but I hardly noticed we were on slippy stuff.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Its way out of my budget , maybe in 4yrs I could stretch to one. I like them , but very pricey compared to the original .

They are a wee bit pricey, we are lucky enough to be in a situation where we can now afford one, and it may be my last chance to buy a car with a powerful petrol engine.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Just wait until you hear about the subsidising of the oil industry.

Top Bottom