New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need to book my free day out at one of the Land Rover off road places, looking forward to it, one of the interesting things will be to see how the different cars manage, something that is easy to forget is just how impressive the big RRs are off road.
Despite having had several LR products, I've never owned a Range-Rover

I'd like either;
1. a VGC 'Series 1' (70 - 95), as a 300Tdi/manual, 100" wheelbase
2. a L322 'Series 3' (2001 - 2012) with the TDV8 (3.6litre V8, twin-turbo diesel), but as the extremely rare manual 'box

I'm not a fan at all of the present shape, it could be a Lexus, a Lincoln, even a Kia
The real Velar is on the left

DRM

Guru
Despite having had several LR products, I've never owned a Range-Rover

I'd like either;
1. a VGC 'Series 1' (70 - 95), as a 300Tdi/manual, 100" wheelbase
2. a L322 'Series 3' (2001 - 2012) with the TDV8 (3.6litre V8, twin-turbo diesel), but as the extremely rare manual 'box

I'm not a fan at all of the present shape, it could be a Lexus, a Lincoln, even a Kia
The real Velar is on the left
View attachment 631647
I recall reading that one of those who was involved in developing the Range Rover, borrowed one of the pre production Velars to take their caravan to a caravan club rally, possibly the national, so around 1969/70, apparently it wasn't the hoped for relaxing weekend away due to the constant stream of people wanting to know what make a Velar was, where can I buy one, and can I have look round it.
I'm guessing the report back at work was "we're on to a winner"
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/range-rover-mk1-1970-retro-road-test
Have a look at the road test from 1970

GilesM

Legendary Member
He'll be pulling cars out of ditches !
No cars to pull out of ditches, we only saw one farmer in his Japanese pick-up and two snow ploughs on this road, it was not quite the wet windy weather we were expecting, but on top of the Lammermuir hills early Saturday morning it was quite stunning, only disappointment was the snow ploughs got up before us, but it was fun (and very impressive) driving up the steep section (17%) up to the top of Redstone Rig without even the smallest of wheel spins, a wee bit of a slide on the sharp bend but that was down to driver enthusiasm, got to test the hill descent on a snowy/icy bit of downhill, a bit weird driving down a steep hill and letting the car do all its stuff, but difficult not to be impressed.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
I'm sure Giles M will give your review due weight 😊

Not a Defender of old, for sure, but junk? I think not.
Just another car made the same way as all the other junk. Overpriced and not effective. Would you push cow gates open or chuck a dead sheep in the back?

I run around in a 200tdi and a 300tdi.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just another car made the same way as all the other junk. Overpriced and not effective. Would you push cow gates open or chuck a dead sheep in the back?

I think we've moved on from caveman times. You'd get a rattly old Defender for dead sheep, or a pickup these days. :whistle:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

I said "Not a Defender of old" because it's not one of those. We've also had quite an extensive discussion earlier thread about this fundamental change in a vehicle's purpose.

But if you think it's junk, that's your prerogative.

You have a right to be wrong, because you may be comparing a wheely bin with a trampoline, I fear :smile:

Top Bottom