New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yep. 1998 one owner with full service history from land rover since 1998 lol

Really nice atchualy. Even got remote central locking that works!
What do you need that for? It's a working vehicle, for working people, to do work with, not some nancy jonny-come-lately lifestyle SUV.

I'd keep quiet about those modern accoutrements if I were you, lest someone tells you you're driving junk :laugh:

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
What do you need that for? It's a working vehicle, for working people, to do work with, not some nancy jonny-come-lately lifestyle SUV.

I'd keep quiet about those modern accoutrements if I were you, lest someone tells you you're driving junk :laugh:
It's handy when wearing thick leather gloves for locking the guns away.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Aren’t those the ones with BMW engines? Heresy!
Nope you are incorrect

What you describe is a td5 engine. Designed and built by land rover but only put into production when BMW owned the company.
BMW engines were only used in the freelanders i have a 4cyl land rover engine thanks

gbb

Legendary Member
The reason defender was discontinued was the fact it takes a week to build one and a range rover pops out every half hour or so and is twice the price and sum.
Which emphasises the point, sales of the old Defender probably never warranted conversion into moderm mass production, what the point of making something en masse when the demand isnt there.
Conversely, the demand is there for luxury SUV (and of course, luxury comes at a price, ie more profit ^_^) its a win win for Land Rover :becool:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Anyhow, here's one manufacturer maintaining the heritage - if indeed it does launch - and if it sells at its 48k base price:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ineos-grenadier-launch-july-2022-£48000#:~:text=Ineos is ramping up to,reservations tomorrow (30 September).

Trouble is Jim's iconic replacement for our British Heritage is being built elsewhere:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...british-heir-to-land-rover-defender-in-france

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nope you are incorrect

What you describe is a td5 engine. Designed and built by land rover but only put into production when BMW owned the company.
BMW engines were only used in the freelanders i have a 4cyl land rover engine thanks
Not going to get involved too much in the old v new . I like both , the old Defener was superb for what it was designed for. The new one is nice as well but as you would say you wouldn’t chuck sheet in the back of it ! However it’s extremely capable off road . Very expensive too boot but if I could afford one I’d have it ! Mind you I’m still hankering over a FFRR as well :whistle: .

GilesM

Legendary Member
Junk.

There not really defender anymore
Reassuringly expensive junk, and if you ask nicely you can even put a couple of sheep in the back of mine, although I'd normally go for a muddy mtb, but hey, wtf.
The world would be bit dull if we all liked the same stuff, but give the new one a try, you won't even need to approach the challenge with an open mind, the new defender will do the mind opening.
I love the original defender, but the modern one is in another world, it really is zarking amazing

Simple Simon

Veteran
Love my pile of junk, D200 hard top. Great on the farm, pulls a twin horse box like it’s pulling a balloon, good for a couple of hay bales or a bike in the back and ideal for the weather conditions living in the Peak District throws at me.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Love my pile of junk, D200 hard top. Great on the farm, pulls a twin horse box like it’s pulling a balloon, good for a couple of hay bales or a bike in the back and ideal for the weather conditions living in the Peak District throws at me.
View attachment 632729
Very good, but ask yourself this.

Would you push a gate open with it?*

See, the junkiest thing since Hong Kong harbour in 1857.

*Possibly the daftest test ever invented, ever!

Top Bottom