New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not really in the spirit of the land rover brand .

It is given the direction they're heading in. Similar to what BMW did with the Mini brand.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
We live in a eastern block economic slum here so using modern vehicles for general work is way too expensive.
New Hilux cost too much and break apart far quicker than Toyota lead you to believe so I'll stick with my defender and discovery thanks.
Mechanical equipment is definitely needed here

figbat

Slippery scientist
I live in a rural area surrounded by arable and sheep farming. The farmers all seem to get about OK in Hiluxes, Subarus, Ford Rangers, Isuzus, L200s and quite a few of those large agricultural quad bike type things. Not a Defender in sight yet still they manage.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I live in a rural area surrounded by arable and sheep farming. The farmers all seem to get about OK in Hiluxes, Subarus, Ford Rangers, Isuzus, L200s and quite a few of those large agricultural quad bike type things. Not a Defender in sight yet still they manage.
Defenders are too valuable to use for their intended purpose these days, aren't they?

Roseland triker

I meant the old ones, but given the state of the used car market and anything with a vintage heritage I’d say yes!
Back bone of field work and farming here definitely not collection items

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Because badge recognition. Because they are not replacing the old Defender. All discussed earlier thread :smile:

The spiritual successor to the Defender is the new breed of pickups, IMHO.

And then they are a bit posh these days. No-one wants uncomfy seats, windy windows, no air con etc etc, and these sell well, despite their less than environmental credentials - ssshhhh don't tell the leccy car drivers, they would explode. :laugh:

Roseland triker

And then they are a bit posh these days. No-one wants uncomfy seats, windy windows, no air con etc etc, and these sell well, despite their less than environmental credentials - ssshhhh don't tell the leccy car drivers, they would explode. :laugh:
I use my discovery for work. It's mechanical, 2 axles 2 gearboxes a chassis and engine.
It's got leather seats, Aircon leccy windows heated windscreen etc etc and is very comfortable.
I push gates with it .chuck dead shieet in the back etc etc ts got 7 seats too so plenty of cabin.
I put loaded pallets of stone in the back with the loader and chuck in the dog and a packed lunch.

Wouldn't do that to a new defender or discovery as it would break.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use my discovery for work. It's mechanical, 2 axles 2 gearboxes a chassis and engine.
It's got leather seats, Aircon leccy windows heated windscreen etc etc and is very comfortable.
I push gates with it .chuck dead shieet in the back etc etc ts got 7 seats too so plenty of cabin.
I put loaded pallets of stone in the back with the loader and chuck in the dog and a packed lunch.

Oh you sneak, you've got an old one ! :laugh: Must have a posh one with aircon !

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

They would.

Because they aren't for that purpose any more - and therefore 'junk' in your eyes

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't really understand the need to compare old with new (or vice versa)
As figbat states, times have moved on, all manufacturers have moved on, we as consumers have moved on.

Who in the world, barring farmers, utility providers etc perhaps, uses a 4wd vehicle in the way it used to be far more common to do so.
Landrover (i strongly suspect) didnt sell many original 110s, original defenders to the general public as general runarounds, dailly drivers. Now people want this kind of vehicle, its been made so it appeals (whether you like it or not) to a far wider audience and as a result (for better or worse) their sales are probably infinately higher than when they made original Defenders. I alo suspect had they not evolved, they may well have disappeared off the face of the earth by now.

I'm firmly in the freedom of choice camp. If someone can afford and wants a vehicle that many cannot...who am i to question. ?

Roseland triker

I don't really understand the need to compare old with new (or vice versa)
As figbat states, times have moved on, all manufacturers have moved on, we as consumers have moved on.

Who in the world, barring farmers, utility providers etc perhaps, uses a 4wd vehicle in the way it used to be far more common to do so.
Landrover (i strongly suspect) didnt sell many original 110s, original defenders to the general public as general runarounds, dailly drivers. Now people want this kind of vehicle, its been made so it appeals (whether you like it or not) to a far wider audience and as a result (for better or worse) their sales are probably infinately higher than when they made original Defenders. I alo suspect had they not evolved, they may well have disappeared off the face of the earth by now.

I'm firmly in the freedom of choice camp. If someone can afford and wants a vehicle that many cannot...who am i to question. ?
The reason defender was discontinued was the fact it takes a week to build one and a range rover pops out every half hour or so and is twice the price and sum.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom