New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As rental it would be a perfect opportunity to try one.
Why though ? Unless you wanted it to cross fields or something. For most of us it's not a car to drive on the road.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Not if it means breaking down 75% the way to Morzine.

Unlikely you would, look how many LRJ there are on the road, do you think most of them don't actually manage A to B, and a RR or F pace would be quite stylish in a place like Morzine.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Why though ? Unless you wanted it to cross fields or something. For most of us it's not a car to drive on the road.

Obviously it would be a bit dumb to rent or buy a car you didn't actually like or want to drive, but until you've tried one, don't knock the on road driving fun, I fully appreciate that they are not to everyone's taste, but if the only reason you wouldn't have one is for fear of breaking down then a rental is the way to sample one, any problems and it's the rental company's problem.

Reactions: gbb

GilesM

Legendary Member
My Evoque resting in an underground car park in Dresden, after not leaving me stranded getting there a few days earlier, and again not leaving me stranded going to Berlin airport and back for yet another PCR test, you can see by the anti-speed camera plate that the weather was a tad inclement, as a result there were a few cars and trucks that did leave their owners stranded that day, but those wonderful transmission designers at LRJ gave me the right buttons to push, and also lots of good stuff without me even having to think about buttons.
1635494235849.png

dodgy

Unlikely you would, look how many LRJ there are on the road, do you think most of them don't actually manage A to B, and a RR or F pace would be quite stylish in a place like Morzine.
I'm not sure you understand my point, which is; I would rather take a vehicle on what is a very long journey that has an excellent reliability record.
A JLR vehicle may not break down on the 900 mile journey, but it's more likely to than the alternatives, and it's that nagging doubt that would distract from what should be an enjoyable experience.

Also, I'm not at all swayed by a car looking 'stylish' in a 'place like Morzine'. that sounds like something out of Car magazine :laugh:
When I see a car I don't think that bestows some quality on the driver, it's just a car that has been bought instead of buying something else. However, I am impressed with a cyclist that has worked hard to become fit and fly past me on the cols, that's impressive, not his choice of bike. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GilesM

Legendary Member
I'm not sure you understand my point, which is I would rather take a vehicle on what is a very long journey that has an excellent reliability record.
A JLR vehicle may not break down on the 900 mile journey, but it's more likely to than the alternatives, and it's that nagging doubt that would distract from what should be an enjoyable experience.

It's not that I don't understand your point, it's just that I am surprised by it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your holiday next year, I love that part of the world.

dodgy

It's not that I don't understand your point, it's just that I am surprised by it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your holiday next year, I love that part of the world.
It's beautiful, haven't been since 2019 for obvious reasons, we usually go every year. Think we'll probably just rent a Skoda something or other!

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I'm not sure you understand my point, which is; I would rather take a vehicle on what is a very long journey that has an excellent reliability record.
I'll bite.

Maybe I've just been lucky but my now aged, third-hand, over-complicated Discovery 3 has done nealry 250,000 miles and has never broken down in the eight years since I bought it. I have no hesitation about getting in it and expecting to arive at my destination regardless of distance.

dodgy

I'll bite.

Maybe I've just been lucky but my now aged, third-hand, over-complicated Discovery 3 has done nealry 250,000 miles and has never broken down in the eight years since I bought it. I have no hesitation about getting in it and expecting to arive at my destination regardless of distance.

Anecdote isn't data, besides, I'm not about to rent a vehicle with 250,000 miles on it.

GilesM

Legendary Member

Lots of lucky people about, amazing how many LRJ vehicles you see moving under their own power.

dodgy

Go on, live dangerously, rent a LRJ for your trip to Morzine, you'll love it. You know you want to.

You seem a really nice bloke, I'm not taking the piss honestly.

But I couldn't in all good conscience take a massive SUV onto the roads, there's enough of them already and they're a blight on our roads (in my, and probably many other's opinion). It would make me a massive hypocrite, I don't have many nice things to say about these over-sized vehicles which usually contain just one person. Morzine and Sameons is/are beautiful, they wouldn't' look any more beautiful with a massive panzerwagon parked on their pretty and quiet streets.

Top Bottom