New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I saw a 90 in the flesh for the first time at the end of April, I thought it looked fantastic, so good that I ordered one a few days later, looking forward to getting it, should be fun.

We all ridiculed the DC100 concept as an unworthy successor, looking back it was closer to the truth, than we knew at the time

OIP.jpg

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
I passed a new 110 Defender yesterday, I can't see many farmers buying one, in which case they should've changed the name as it's not really a proper Defender.

Badger_Boom

Ãœber Member
It’s not a ‘real’ Defender - it doesn’t leak cold water into your lap from the roof when you turn the first corner on a rainy day, and you can’t see daylight through the door gaps or dashboard.

I like the new one, although it’s out of my price range. I saw a nice one yesterday in bog standard Land Rover blue with a white roof that set it off nicely.

DRM

Guru
It’s not a ‘real’ Defender - it doesn’t leak cold water into your lap from the roof when you turn the first corner on a rainy day, and you can’t see daylight through the door gaps or dashboard.

I like the new one, although it’s out of my price range. I saw a nice one yesterday in bog standard Land Rover blue with a white roof that set it off nicely.
It’s not a real Defender, there’s no option to be converted for any task and because of that they’ll never ever do a days work, never transport military personnel & kit, never be waiting at the end of an RAF runway with a fire extinguishing conversion, never bring livestock to/from the auction mart, never do an expedition, and never get utilities companies to that rural site,
it’s not a workhorse, it’s not a Defender, it’s the wrong car, at the wrong time, they’ve got it spectacularly wrong, and gifted everything listed above, and more besides to Toyota, Isuzu and Mitsubishi.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
TBF, it could do that stuff (Harry Metcalfe for one has demonstrated so). However, it won't do that stuff, because of the price. Like most SUVs, it'll be bought by idiot townies who think they need a three ton vehicle to feel 'safe', and idiots in more rural areas who think they live in 'the country' because there's a bit of mud and gravel on the road.

DRM

Guru
TBF, it could do that stuff (Harry Metcalfe for one has demonstrated so). However, it won't do that stuff, because of the price. Like most SUVs, it'll be bought by idiot townies who think they need a three ton vehicle to feel 'safe', and idiots in more rural areas who think they live in 'the country' because there's a bit of mud and gravel on the road.
It’ll never get any conversions done, simply because yes the Real Defender, and it’s predecessors were cheaper, and more importantly modular in construction, so you could strip them of the rear tub, put a hard top on a pick up, replace the chassis, modify it in a million ways, this new thing is a replacement for the 200/300 Tdi and TD5 Discovery, not the Defender

It’s not a real Defender, there’s no option to be converted for any task and because of that they’ll never ever do a days work, never transport military personnel & kit, never be waiting at the end of an RAF runway with a fire extinguishing conversion, never bring livestock to/from the auction mart, never do an expedition, and never get utilities companies to that rural site,
it’s not a workhorse, it’s not a Defender, it’s the wrong car, at the wrong time, they’ve got it spectacularly wrong, and gifted everything listed above, and more besides to Toyota, Isuzu and Mitsubishi.
Just wait until you see the new Grenadier!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Apart from that - do you like it? ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I saw a 90 in the flesh for the first time at the end of April, I thought it looked fantastic, so good that I ordered one a few days later, looking forward to getting it, should be fun.

Yes, it looks bloody nice. There's a clutch of them at the local dealer in Kendal and mighty fine beasts they are too.

One has two rectangular luggage pods fixed on either side at the rear and just above the waistline - a small detail but it does look cool.

We down-shifted on the car front years back so won't be buying one - but, back in the day, it would have been a fine car for us.

Enjoy when it arrives!

Top Bottom