New Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGG on a bike

I started off with an ex RAF 1960 S2 88”, followed by a very early Range Rover two door (with manual steering box), I had several at the same time following that one, those being a V8 lightweight and a very rare S1 88” 2.0 diesel ( they only made that one for six months). After that an S3 Stage 1 Vs CSW For 9 years, followed by a 90 TD. Then came another Range Rover, this time a 3.9 Vogue SE for about 6 years, which ended up as a class 1 trialler. Finally had a P38, which I owned for about 7 years. The track where we keep the horses is a dead end and very tight for turning round, so I ended up with a Jimny just to get down there in the winter months. We had that for about 5 years and it was brilliant. None of the LRs I’ve owned have been unreliable, but they were all well looked after mechanically. Currently using a Ford Ranger, but it’s an older Mazda based model and not the current shape. I’ve only had that a year, but it’s a good work horse and has been very good so far.

@SSG

That's the one I regret never buying; a Range Rover ('series 1')
I've driven quite a few, from 2-door/vinyl seated, to late 'soft dash' Tdi's

Yes please:wub::wub::wub:
https://www.graemehunt.com/inventory/347/1970-land-rover-velar

Then again, this is a bit more day-to-day friendly!!
(but still utterly gorgeous)
https://www.landrovercentre.com/product/wru606k/

If not an original, then a L322, as the TDV8
(might struggle to find the 'Unicorn' that is the manual version)

SGG on a bike

I had my early Rangie back in the early 80s, so it was still ”current” then and nothing like as good a condition as those you linked to. 🙂

My favourite was the Stage 1V8. The original engine threw a rod and it ended up with an RPI built unit pushing around 225bhp.

Drago

Legendary Member
Late SIIa, D1 V8 3.9 and D1 300TurDi. Mrs D put her foot down and banned me from owning another as they were just money pits and time wasters. She bought me an L200 as an incentive for getting shot of the fi al D1, and to be honest it was better in almost every way.

The only one I'd consider now is a Rangie MK1 CSK. As for the rest of them, the Japanese do it as well, cheaper, and better built, and the only reason people bother now is to Willy Wag.

DRM

Guru
Land Rover have totally lost the plot with that thing, you'll never see one of those towing a stock trailer, taking utilities staff to the back of beyond for a days work, let alone on an expedition, it just a 2nd rate Discovery, I think it should have been built on a ladder chassis like a Japanese pick-up giving it the ability to be built as a single or double cab pick-up, van or station wagon, & most importantly the ability to be fully electric, perhaps as a hybrid for starters, my old 200 Tdi Disco was more of a workhorse than that thing.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Land Rover have totally lost the plot with that thing, you'll never see one of those towing a stock trailer, taking utilities staff to the back of beyond for a days work, let alone on an expedition, it just a 2nd rate Discovery, I think it should have been built on a ladder chassis like a Japanese pick-up giving it the ability to be built as a single or double cab pick-up, van or station wagon, & most importantly the ability to be fully electric, perhaps as a hybrid for starters, my old 200 Tdi Disco was more of a workhorse than that thing.

I think Land Rover have clearly given up on proper utility vehicles or workhorse type vehicles haven't they, this is just a variant on the plastic, lifestyle 4x4 / school run standard. It's where the money is, unfortunately. Everyone wants a statement vehicle now, everyone aspires to a plastic Range Rover or similar, it apparently tells you they've made it in life. And of course it'll have a vanity plate on it, every time you see one.

It's a far cry from the series 2 and 3 landies that I drove in the 90s, they worked hard. Electrically vulnerable of course, but mechanically they were good so long as you didn't keep breaking the half shaft with early handbrake applications.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Land Rover make Range Rovers so if you buy either it's still ££££££ in Jaguar Land Rovers pocket.

I don't mind the new Disco, hopefully they've sorted all the mechanical and electrical issues out that plague both marques.

Drago

Legendary Member
Chap I know spent an absolute fortune on a new Disco Sport. It was his dream car, and he specced it up the the gills with all sorts of official accessories, including the umderbody protection pack.

An utter, utter lemon. Riddled with faults, and the dealer was of little use in rectifying any of them. In the end he rejected it and now has a Forester, he just caught one of the very last diesel ones before they were deletedmfrom the range. Not as exciting or flash, but very capable and is utterly hassle free.

Where is the incentive to buy any LR product these days?

A true snittpet - my BiL is very senior on the development side for JLR, yet he drives a BMW. I asked him why this was, and he replied "Because BMW know how to make a car that works." Nuff said.

keithmac

Guru
Just Googled "Landrover Crankshaft Failure", shocking reading and very poor customer service.

Sounds reminiscent of my experiences with Ford..

figbat

Slippery scientist
I once heard an anecdote regarding JLR - it was said that a new director of quality control (or some such) was appointed from outside JLR. He had his new company car delivered and initially assumed it must be some kind of test as he found a significant number of defects on it. Even if not true it speaks volumes of the regard they are held in in this respect. And yet they still fly off the shelves.

822146BB-D37F-4ED0-BF08-4BBF19C13F4B.jpeg
I would have this back before the new one.....
And then, this one.....
4BF55105-BDF3-46DA-A095-F3CBC4E817B2.jpeg

Top Bottom