New drivetrain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
After three years of hard all year round commuting my Giant Bowery is sounding a bit gritty. I thought I would treat it to a new chainring, chain and rear sprocket.

I'm looking low cost. Any ideas?

BTW if I buy a new 42T chainring off Wiggle are all of the bolt holes in a standard form?

Chainrings vary due to bcd (bolt circle diameter)
this usually quoted on the description
eg could be 104 130 135
If your buying a new chainset it will come with a chainring anyway
miche do a decent one for around £50,I'd treat myself to a sugino if i had the money
they're around £70 ish tho

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Chains are cheap as chips so I'll be getting a new one.
The back sprocket looks OK. Should I change that while I'm at it ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, the Miche isn't cheap - sorry !

Gritty will be the chain. Change the rear sprocket and the chain - much cheaper, and give the chainring a good clean - it will be unlikely you have worn that. There saved you a few bob.

D

Deleted member 1258

I use the Gebhardt Black Chain Rings, about half way down the page here
http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopcrank.html
Are you sure you need to replace the drive train? Or does it just need a good clean? I must admit I usually change the transmission about every 12 months, the bike is used for commuting and winter club rides.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
As it's 3 years old and has done all year round it must be due for a bit of TLC. I'll go for the chain and sprocket option and see how I get on. Thanks peeps.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Went for the sprocket and chain option. Bought the components at:
http://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/
Fitted them in about 30 minutes ( spent most of the time messing around with the chaintugs which came out when I tried to loosen them).

The bike is now silky smooth and like new.

About £13 for both delivered.

Top Bottom