New fangled "through axles"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You can get small 8mm adapters that fit onto 6mm keys, many multi tools come with them.

One advantage of TA over QR is that when used by idiots, TA are intrinsically safer and offer better legal liability to manufacturers. QR rely on the user being able to read the words " open" and " closed" , understand the difference between the two words, and not threaten any passing grown up who points out their error.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
One advantage of TA over QR is that when used by idiots, TA are intrinsically safer and offer better legal liability to manufacturers. QR rely on the user being able to read the words " open" and " closed" , understand the difference between the two words, and not threaten any passing grown up who points out their error.

Or foist those stupid "Lawyer lips" on the rest of us, making the term quick release redundant.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
FFWD have had rim brake wheels for years... I've had mine 3 years and a mate at least 5

When i got my disc FFWD wheels I was quite impressed & looked for some rim braked versions, but couldn't see them anywhere, not even on their own site :blush: May have just been supply issues at the time?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You can get small 8mm adapters that fit onto 6mm keys, many multi tools come with them.
indeed this sort of thing, and just carry the 6-8m adaptor with your multi tool.

1653900874224.png

Wooger

Disagree. In fact, with the attached levers or with a small allen key, most users will never do up their through axles to the required torque.

Alex321

Veteran
Disagree. In fact, with the attached levers or with a small allen key, most users will never do up their through axles to the required torque.

I think most will do them up with sufficient torque they aren't likely to come undone.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just remember, when you pack the bike in the back of a car, remember to take the through axels with you. :hyper: I always double check they are in the boot.

Oh and Rock Shox Maxel through axels are made of cheese - you've got to be careful with the QR lever. Hence newer axels being 'strealth' - i.e. hex keys.

I always put mine back in position in the frame whether working on the bike or loading into the car. It simply means I know exactly where they are, no chance of picking up grit etc.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just remember, when you pack the bike in the back of a car, remember to take the through axels with you. :hyper: I always double check they are in the boot.

Oh and Rock Shox Maxel through axels are made of cheese - you've got to be careful with the QR lever. Hence newer axels being 'strealth' - i.e. hex keys.

I use a fork hitch in the car so have to use the through axle to secure the bike. Forgetting the wheel itself is another matter! :wacko:

Top Bottom