New Forest sportive backlash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Thank god I live in an area of the country where the nimbyism isn't quite so well bred. Seems these people want to exclude all others from the NF that A) Don't ride a horse or B) Drive a stupid huge 4x4.
Ignore them and ride the roads that we all pay for, they can stick their views where the sun doesn't shine. I'll agree to limits on cyclists events when they Ban cars from the NF completely. I doubt they'd agree with that :laugh:.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

@User13710 Gridiron? sounds more my cup of tea. is this a yearly thing/ is it still going? sounds a more leisurely social for me:smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think we are agreeing.

Actually, thinking about it, no, we're not. Again, not having a go at you - I think your comments are perfectly reasonable, and I'm making a general point rather than aiming this at you specifically - but I think the code of conduct proposal is ludicrous. The suggestion of a code of conduct for tourists was meant to highlight how ludicrous it is. It's one of those things that sounds quite reasonable at first glance but doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. Yeah, sure, I'll sign some worthless bit of paper but will that really stop me being an inconsiderate cyclist if I'm so inclined?

What's really needed is for existing legislation to be better enforced - with respect to *everyone* using the New Forest, but most importantly with respect to motorists, because the FACTS show that they are by far the biggest menace in the New Forest.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd like to see a code of conduct for all drivers in the New Forest.

Actually, we could extend it to all road users, and make it a code of conduct for the highways, a Highway Code if you like... Duh!

I am pretty much openly anti-sportive these days as I encounter far too many nobbers, with zero road/cyclecraft, taking part in them when I'm out cycling, and they all chuffin' drive to and from the start/finish which often also creates motor traffic problems in the locality. Give me an audax or a club run or a ride with my mates any day.

But here's the thing, imagine you're out for a ride on your bike, or a walk with your friends, locally, and you encounter a large group of drivers, driving sports cars, with numbers, and timing chips, roaring around not-racing on the open roads you were using ... and you discover this is a commercially run event, unregulated, organised over the same roads several weekends a year ... there would be uproar locally.

we need to see ourselves en masse as others do.
we need to see sportives as others do too.

Siegfried

But here's the thing, imagine you're out for a ride on your bike, or a walk with your friends, locally, and you encounter a large group of drivers, driving sports cars, with numbers, and timing chips, roaring around not-racing on the open roads you were using ... and you discover this is a commercially run event, unregulated, organised over the same roads several weekends a year ... there would be uproar locally

That's exactly what is often encountered in the dales; classic car rallies, owner's club gatherings, not to mention convoys of off roaders heading for a green lane somewhere or large group motorcycle rides. Lots of people all going out together at the same time to travel the same road as a group is not limited to cyclists.

DRHysted

Guru
The good news is that they do not have the backing of the NPA, or my local councillor (it took a while to sway him).
The item where the horse was spooked was because some non-locals were trying to get a nice pony to eat and apple (they are wild animals and should not be feed), the horse didn't want it so the little girl throw the apple at the pony!!! This happened at the re-run of the Spring Sportive.
Most sportives go off without any one knowing about them (pretty much like the audaxs), but we have a select couple of groups here who feel the need to restrict others use.
What is not mentioned is the problems caused when they do the pony and trap days, if you come across this on the forest you might as well turn around or sit with your engine off because you won't get through for at least half an hour (one year I witnessed them delaying an ambulance).
I am New Forest born and breed, I've lived, walked (with dogs), cycled and driven the New Forest for as long as I can remember. To date I have not heard of a single horse being hurt by a cyclist, but last year 65 were killed by vehicles. Regarding this code, they can shove it when the sun doesn't shine, and all the time that the NPA and local Councils are not listening to the propaganda in the media, we are safe.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Quite a lot have timing chips and you can look on the web site after the events for times.

It's in the regulations for sportives* that times should not be published. If you know of any that flout this rule, report them to the police and British Cycling. They're probably breaking the terms of their insurance.

*Yes, sportives are regulated, despite what some would have you believe.

VamP

Banned
It's in the regulations for sportives* that times should not be published. If you know of any that flout this rule, report them to the police and British Cycling. They're probably breaking the terms of their insurance.

Here's one.

I am yet to see a sportive that doesn't publish the times. It's the main reason most do sportives. I hate the bloody things.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had cause to check the times on two sportives, both were published, although one was listed only in alphabetical order of rider.

The other had the fastest first.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

BC will do nothing. They derive a lot of income from the insurance cover. iirc not all sportives are 'governed' by BC anyway. (Happy to be corrected)
The police will do nothing, other than regard you as a swivel-eyed loon, as a result of your complaining, ime/imo, citing other policing priorities.
The police may do something if enough of the members of right local community groups complain because those chosen few folk set the local policing priorities!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Here's one.

I am yet to see a sportive that doesn't publish the times. It's the main reason most do sportives. I hate the bloody things.
It is time for the cycling community to face up to the fact that sportives ARE races on open roads, and as such illegal, and that dressing them up as not-races is doing more harm to our cause than good.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's one.

I believe you entirely but I'm not clicking on your link because it's of no interest to me personally. Like I said, you should report it to the authorities. There's no mileage in moaning about it on a forum.

As I'm sure you know, there are very good pre-existing legal reasons why sportives shouldn't publish times. It's a problem of enforcement, not of inadequate regulation per se.

Top Bottom