New Forest sportive backlash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
August 4th, Prudential Ride London = 20,000 cyclists not-racing from London through Surrey countryside en route south "past Newlands Corner, Abinger Hammer and Holmbury St Mary before tackling the biggest ascent on the route at Leith Hill. After a short descent., it's onto the next challenge: world-famous zig zags of Box Hill."

So that's chaos on the roads around Dorking and through the Surrey Hills that day then.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
August 4th, Prudential Ride London = 20,000 cyclists not-racing from London through Surrey countryside en route south "past Newlands Corner, Abinger Hammer and Holmbury St Mary before tackling the biggest ascent on the route at Leith Hill. After a short descent., it's onto the next challenge: world-famous zig zags of Box Hill."

So that's chaos on the roads around Dorking and through the Surrey Hills that day then.

Organised, well behaved chaos, for one day in the year, just like plenty of other one off non-cycling events which can cause "traffic chaos".
As this is bound to be a large event with a large sponsor, I suspect it will be quite tightly controlled.

I shall only be going along for the free ride though, looking forward to using a small part of London's roads traffic free (rather than doing the usual dance with black taxis).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Organised, well behaved chaos, for one day in the year, just like plenty of other one off non-cycling events which can cause "traffic chaos".
As this is bound to be a large event with a large sponsor, I suspect it will be quite tightly controlled.

I shall only be going along for the free ride though, looking forward to using a small part of London's roads traffic free (rather than doing the usual dance with black taxis).
Hope it stays fine for you.

DRHysted

Guru
I had the dubious pleasure of coming off my bike on the way to an event last year, so whilst waiting for my mother who happened to be using my car that day (hence why I rode) to come and collect me, I earwigged one of the UK Cycle Events organisors conversation. They have to get permission of local authorities (council, police, NFA,etc). This code of conduct is utter and complete rubbish, properly organised events allready jump through hoops. On the first run of the New Forest Spring Sportive, we had representative from the Police, Ambulance, New Forest Agistors. The highway agency had imposed a temporary speed limit reduction on a road from 60 to 40. Are people seriously thinking that if they are considered a problem then someone from one of these organisations wouldn't have stepped in and stopped it. Regarding times they are allowed to publish times but they must not be in ranking order because (as they continually point out) it is not a race (UK Cycle Events usually do them in alphbetical order).

To correct an asumption. I don't dislike slow horses (I do dislike them cantering past me when I have not had time to get my dogs under close control (please note I said close control, they are under control all the time, but when near livestock I like close control i.e. heel)). I was slimply trying to point out that they are allowed to cause problems, but all other road users are not, according to them.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Maybe motorists should sign a code of conduct before being allowed to drive in the New Forest...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-23363550

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I suppose it depends how you define chaos. If you call being held up by a few cyclists chaos then I say being stuck in normal everyday motor traffic can lay equal claim to the descriptor.
We'll never agree but I better understand your pov as a result of the debate.

fwiw, which ain't much, I've never been 'stuck' on a bike around there (It's the next town to mine up the A24.) or anywhere else outside of major urban centres for that matter

My take; 20000 isn't a few cyclists, it's 20000 and the hold ups... significant road closures for the whole day... significant restrictions on the roads linking the closed roads... parking bans... et cetera. Now I HATE car-centric Britain as much as the nest person but as a way of winding-up a group of rich, powerful and influential car owners? Well, holding a closed roads sportive in the Surrey Hills is almost without equal. And when plod, whose policing priorities are set by the good burghers of Surrey (and Surrey County councillors, a number of whom live in that area) say "Enough is enough" it won't be the once a year Prudential London riders that get affected but, more likely, me, my friends and my club mates.

snailracer

Über Member
...but as a way of winding-up a group of rich, powerful and influential car owners? Well, holding a closed roads sportive in the Surrey Hills is almost without equal. And when plod, whose policing priorities are set by the good burghers of Surrey (and Surrey County councillors, a number of whom live in that area) say "Enough is enough" it won't be the once a year Prudential London riders that get affected but, more likely, me, my friends and my club mates.
Well now you are just reaching.

For sure, many motorists get wound up by cyclists, but we know that more cyclists = safer cycling, mainly because motorists modify their behaviour. There is no reason to assume this doesn't apply to rich motorists.

The Surrey Hills/Weybridge/Hampton Court areas are jammed with MAMILs on expensive bikes on the weekends, amongst whom you'll find the "rich, powerful and influential" rather over-represented.

If "rich, powerful and influential" car owners really do think as you presume, then they deserve to be taken down a notch. These are public roads, they can build their own private roads if they want to reserve it for their exclusive use.

snailracer

Über Member
We'll never agree but I better understand your pov as a result of the debate.

fwiw, which ain't much, I've never been 'stuck' on a bike around there (It's the next town to mine up the A24.) or anywhere else outside of major urban centres for that matter

My take; 20000 isn't a few cyclists....
For perspective, 30000 motor vehicles cross Walton bridge every day, which runs right next to the Prudential Ride London route.

snailracer

Über Member
Not on 4th August they're not, they are reserved for the exclusive use of those taking part in the sportive.
It should be possible to run a sportive without closing roads, if only motorists could be relied upon not to drive dangerously around riders which, unfortunately, they can't.

Top Bottom