New Forest sportive backlash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
The people who are racing against the clock I would guess that they are timing themselves anyway, either stopwatch, gps, strava etc so I don’t think the removing the publication of times would make any difference.

It's comparing yourself to EVERYBODY else's times that provides the 'racing' element.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Numbers: do the police routinely get involved in approving sportives? I don't know, and am happy to be told.

I don't think these events can go ahead without police approval. I am happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
It's comparing yourself to EVERYBODY else's times that provides the 'racing' element.

Fair point, but personally that wouldnt change how fast i rode, I would only know who I was racing against once I got home and they posted the results.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Smutchin really likes his sportives and doesn't want them to be regulated even by good manners

No, I hate sportives. I agree that they are pretend races. I'd much rather do a nice audax or a real race. But I don't know how often I have to say this before anyone will take any notice...

THEY ARE ALREADY REGULATED.

The problem is one of enforcement. The code of conduct idea is pissing in the wind.

And I still haven't seen any actual evidence that sportives really are such a nuisance as claimed.

VamP

Banned
Fair point, but personally that wouldnt change how fast i rode, I would only know who I was racing against once I got home and they posted the results.

Not sure how it would affect you, but in the two sportives I have had the misfortune to get embroiled in, there was a significant percentage of testosterone fuelled nobbers, who were convinced they were one step away from the Tour. It wasn't pretty.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
End of the day you can try and take the race out of the ride but your can’t take the race out of the rider.

I will race to the shop, on my way to work, on any segments I pass and any charity ride, sportives, a bus, another commuter, a granny, cat ,dog, anything. There are dicks like me everywhere, and there not much you can do about it, Muah ha ha ha!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Wiggle sportive I drove past recently had huge numbers on rider's back.
Indeed. And you were in a position to see the numbers as you drove past. How many marshals with how many clipboards, and cameras since the marshal's word would be disputed by the nobber and his/her mates, would it take to cover the entire route? And once nobber has been outed what happens? Banned from future events? Given a tap on the shoulder and red carded during the event, "Chuff off it's a public road and I'll ride where and how I like!" Have his/her not-racing license revoked?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not sure how it would affect you, but in the two sportives I have had the misfortune to get embroiled in, there was a significant percentage of testosterone fuelled nobbers, who were convinced they were one step away from the Tour. It wasn't pretty.

Much like the testosterone-fuelled nobbers in cars I encounter on the roads every farking day of my life who think they're in the Paris-Dakar rally when they're actually driving down a country lane in Kent.

The main difference being that they're in charge of a tonne of lethal motorised weapon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
End of the day you can try and take the race out of the ride but your can’t take the race out of the rider.

I will race to the shop, on my way to work, on any segments I pass and any charity ride, sportives, a bus, another commuter, a granny, cat ,dog, anything. There are dicks like me everywhere, and there not much you can do about it, Muah ha ha ha!
But there is. We can kick your arse.

VamP

Banned
Much like the testosterone-fuelled nobbers in cars I encounter on the roads every f***ing day of my life who think they're in the Paris-Dakar rally when they're actually driving down a country lane in Kent.

The main difference being that they're in charge of a tonne of lethal motorised weapon.

Probably the same guys.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The best way to avoid the anguish that sportives cause is to stay well clear of them! A sportive to me, is essentially a traffic jam.

VamP

Banned
Indeed. And you were in a position to see the numbers as you drove past. How many marshals with how many clipboards, and cameras since the marshal's word would be disputed by the nobber and his/her mates, would it take to cover the entire route? And once nobber has been outed what happens? Banned from future events? Given a tap on the shoulder and red carded during the event, "Chuff off it's a public road and I'll ride where and how I like!" Have his/her not-racing license revoked?

I think the horse riders were asking for this because they felt that the riders would feel less 'irresponsible' if there was a readily available method of outing them. I am likewise sceptical this would work, but it would not be too onerous a thing for the organisers to do, and would actually possibly increase the feel good factor for the 'racers'.

For what it's worth, there's plenty of nobberish behaviour in road racing, where the numbers and racing licenses are a matter of course.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think the horse riders were asking for this because they felt that the riders would feel less 'irresponsible' if there was a readily available method of outing them. I am likewise sceptical this would work, but it would not be too onerous a thing for the organisers to do, and would actually possibly increase the feel good factor for the 'racers'.

For what it's worth, there's plenty of nobberish behaviour in road racing, where the numbers and racing licenses are a matter of course.
It ain't changed much in 40 years then!

Top Bottom