New Forest Sportive Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattonsea

Über Member
As we are coming up to a busy couple of weeks for cycling in the forest with several sportive's , it seems that the local press are stirring up trouble for participants . CW had another piece about the complaints from some of the people who live in the forest. Some people want an incident to occur , to fan the flames. I am not going to lecture but you all pay through taxes for the National Park. So you have as much right as anyone else to use this space. Not one pony has been killed on the forest by a bike , but the death toll by cars has increased this year. Stick to the code of conduct and have a great time.

DRHysted

Guru
The good news is my local councillor is the head of alternative transport of the NPA. His opinion is that as long as we all use the forest sensibly there will be no "crack down" from the NPA.
I'm doing the Wiggle 100 next Sunday, so will be looking out for idiots with tacks.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The good news is my local councillor is the head of alternative transport of the NPA. His opinion is that as long as we all use the forest sensibly there will be no "crack down" from the NPA.
I'm doing the Wiggle 100 next Sunday, so will be looking out for idiots with tacks.

See you there.

OP
OP
Mattonsea

Mattonsea

Über Member
I'll be in (if it's warm) Yellow "I pay road tax" jersey, Black shorts. Riding the Allez with the annoying creaking crank, that I can't stop creaking.

Grunt when you overtake me, I'll try and wheeze a reply.
I think it will be the other way round. I will be I a Belgium Cycling top with 3/4 leggings on a black Isaac impulse cursing
under my breath:cursing:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Good luck to you all on Sunday 3 of us CC girls will be doing the one the week after.
I do have some sympathy with those that live there as they seem to put the sportives in great lumps instead of dotting them around. Mind you that may be better I'm not sure but whatever I have no doubt it brings business as people come from far and wide and many stay there the night before due to the early starts.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The local press should be supporting this. As I already said I am pretty sure this will bring business to the local pubs and b&b which I am sure they will be glad of. This may also be the first visit to the NF for some and fingers crossed they should see it in all its glory which may make them want to visit again and bring in yet more money.
Also these big events are very well organised and I have no doubt have to pay handsomely for the privilege.

Typical short sighted, doom mongering, lack of facts media.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Lots of local business do get a well needed October boost from both events coming up ,
Just takes a few riders to upset the locals ,
Litter from the gels no respect for the animals, as they are just racing ,I ride the Forrest hard regularly and live and commute on the dean road area of the wiggle100 ,and last year saw only good from the riders, I am doing gridiron the weekend after and have pre warned my guests of the tacks and just respect the area,we get a few events through our village and ther is always a elemnt who just don't slow , I know we have all done it but a bunch of ten riders descending at 40 mph only takes a animal or child, and that's what upsets the locals,we get it all past us as we sit on a byway of the Clarendon way off roaders ,runners ,hashers, motorbikes etc just need to remember a little respect sometimes as I say we have never had a problem as such but only takes a few to upset everyone

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Be safe out there Sunday chaps as it would appear the local bumpkins are playing up again!:angry:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10720353.Saboteurs_target_mass_cycling_event_in_Hampshire/

I've just done the 40 mile route & didn't see anything so may be on the longer routes. Their arguments are pathetic given that the local pubs & restaurants were full of cyclists spending money in the local economy afterwards & all the B & Bs we saw had full signs up so I'm guessing a fair number of people stayed the night/weekend.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This whole "dispute" with the CDA and the verderers. The problem with their complaint is actually how the rides had been registered with the appropriate authorities some months BEFORE the verderers announced their pony round up.

I myself hadn't realised the Wiggle event was planned for this exact weekend. With the intention of being helpful I did go on twitter and facebook and try and highlight the pony roundup so as to limit any issues but in hindsight it appears as if these New Forest NIMBYs were only out to cause a clash. After all they WERE told the Wiggle event WAS on this weekend.

DRHysted

Guru
This is the first year we've noticed them holding the roundup on weekends. I have had the misfortune of being caught up in the roundup one year whilst walking the dogs, it was a rather hair raising experiance!

DRHysted

Guru
When I popped in today to pre-register, I did suggest they try Beaulieu Motor museum next year, as there was no fuss made about the triathlon last weekend (found myself following signs whilst going to work). The helper informed me that they were thinking about it due to the amount of parking available.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I did a large section of the wiggle route late afternoon yesterday ,fromShootash crossroads on the a27 past the feed station at lockerly through to Downtown on a extended commute ride,the amount of gel wrappers etc left on the roads was shameful,I stopped to re erect a short left sign in East grimstead and a couple of locals had a right go at me thinking I was from wiggle

Top Bottom