New Forest Sportive Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mattonsea

Mattonsea

Über Member
My wife was driving past the Hare And Hounds in Sway yesterday and was sworn at by a group who overtook here because she could not pass A bloke struggling up the hill on his bike.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Can any riders with concerns please send letters to letters@dailyecho.co.uk and http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/yoursay/sendaletter/ (both local papers concerned). You might also consider contacting the Daily Telegraph letters given their recent rants against riders and events.

Points to raise:
1. Pulling down signs and throwing things on the road IS the real danger and those that did it should be caught!
2. Riders are entitled to have a day to enjoy on the bike and their being there needs to be accepted and encouraged.
3. Cycling is a solution to health issues as well as traffic issues
4. Two-abreast IS legal.
5. How can wildlife be damaged by road cyclists when they are not leaving the road? Those roads are shared by drivers (hopefully) so if a cyclist is considered a threat to fauna then why not the car?

We need to get these points across, plus any other concerns you have. These rides were planned and approved well in advance. And unless we communicate these then future rides may be more at risk leading to new cyclists not getting a chance to enjoy such a ride.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The local press should be supporting this. As I already said I am pretty. Sure this will bring business to the local pubs and b&b which I am sure they will be glad of. This may also be the first visit to the NF for some and fingers crossed they should see it in all its glory which may make them want to visit again and bring in yet more money.
Also these big events are very well organised and I have no doubt have to pay handsomely for the privilege.

Typical short sighted, doom mongering, lack of facts media.
Just altered your punctuation & capitalisation ^_^ That's much better, do you not think :hello:

Really looking forward to cycling in the NF, I used to ride horses there a lot and not one complaint about treks, riding clubs etc all riding around en masse.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hope the weather next weekend for the cycletta is as lovely as it is today. I can't wait its such fantastic cycling country.

Respect, which works both ways, is what it's all about, quite simple really. As always its the few that ruin things for the majority.

I think it might have been one of the other riders on here that suggested respect isnt the issue. Consideration and actions are. You can have little respect for someone but still show consideration for their needs (eg prison nurses)

I did the standard course on Saturday. My first sportive, and I have to say it was very well organised. I saw no problems out on the road and shall definitely be doing another.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
If you enjoyed the event, then equally tell said local newspapers! Especially if you spent money locally :thumbsup:

Well, the event passed without any mishaps as far as I saw, was well attended, yes I did see some rather stupid cycling along the way where cars couldn't get past because people were 4 or 5 abreast and didn't seem to ever look behind, but otherwise everyone enjoyed themselves. Found it tough this year with cramp at 50 miles (just before Blissford!) but finished in 6:15, 16 mins of that being feed stops (fantastic organisation by ukce as usual!). I live within a stones throw of Blissford. I did pick up some anti cycling anger from a friend on Facebook, but again it was an isolated incident and I think just caused by the volume of cyclists attending the course. I was driving home on Saturday and did have to be very cautious, seeing cyclists coming towards me round a junction on the wrong side of the road.

Still, caught the sun and burned 8000 calories, so I'm happy :-)

Neil363

I rode the short route on the Saturday with a friend as it was very local and a fair bit of it covered roads I regularly ride.

Neither of us had ever ridden in a sportive before but we were both very impressed with everything that went on..... so impressed that we have already booked a place on the South Downs one in a couple of weeks time!

I don't think I saw one bad bit of riding by anyone taking part, and the only issue we noticed was that of a local farmer having a chat with the police. I assume that the chat centred around what was going on.

There was some guy trying to cross the road with a few horses in tow and he seemed to be getting rather angry at the amount of us riding past blocking his way, but was it really up to us to stop on the road whilst he crossed it? I don't think so.

Overall, a superb experience and something I'll be participating in more often when it all gets rolling again next year.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The enemy and I had a great day today, didn't see any negativity form the natives, but I did see some distasteful behaviour from some cyclists, mainly a group of cyclists wearing pink "Wyndy Milla" cycling gear, dropping litter, riding4/5 abreast, passing on blind bends, also a group wearing Royal Navy jerseys with the road sense of a three legged hedghog. It's no wonder folk get cheesed off with cylists when they behave like morons. And what the flippity blasty heck in hell do people think they are doing leaving old inner tubes on the side of the road. It's just bad manners. And the gel wrappers, take them home morons, if you dont like sticky stuff in your back pocket, then use something else.

Last edited:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The enemy and I had a great day today, didn't see any negativity form the natives, but I did see some distasteful behaviour from some cyclists, mainly a group of cyclists wearing pink "Wyndy Milla" cycling gear, dropping litter, riding4/5 abreast, passing on blind bends, also a group wearing Royal Navy jerseys with the road sense of a a three legged hedghog. It's no wonder folk get cheesed off with cylists when they behave like morons. Amd what the flippity blasy heck in hell do people think they are doing leaving old inner tubes on the side of the road. It's just bad manners. And the gel wrappers, take them home morons, if you dont like stick stuff in your back pocket, then use something else.

Leave nothing but tyre tracks is my motto.

Top Bottom