New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Politics is gone. People need to move on and accept that; that is not to say that sexism/racism cannot be called out where it is posted in whatever part of the forum.

P&L and the various incarnations have, for many years, caused problems. I find it hard that people cannot see this.
If nothing else, politics is about fighting for what you believe in.

If nothing else, politics is about fighting for what you believe in.
#believeinbeingnotanadult

Politics was a big part of CC for me.

I don’t have enough interest that I’d seek out a political discussion. But happy to discuss current affairs as a side topic on various forums.

While my views don’t always match up with others who are more liberal than me. I have learned a lot, my social and political views have changed directly from conversations with CC and having my views challenged forcing me to reevaluate what my position really is and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Removal of politics is a shame, it removes the ability for everybody to grow and evaluate themselves.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Politics was a big part of CC for me.

I don’t have enough interest that I’d seek out a political discussion. But happy to discuss current affairs as a side topic on various forums.

While my views don’t always match up with others who are more liberal than me. I have learned a lot, my social and political views have changed directly from conversations with CC and having my views challenged forcing me to reevaluate what my position really is and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Removal of politics is a shame, it removes the ability for everybody to grow and evaluate themselves.
^^^^. In spades.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Not a lot of love for the mods? I am (believe it or not) a mod on a (football) forum, the politics sub section is a nightmare, it takes up so much time trying to keep the peace and all the time, you just want to enjoy the forum yourself, but cannot.
I’ve been in this position as well, helping to administer a football forum. Dealing with political topics, religion, racism etc. is a complete and utter nightmare. It does not matter what stance the admins, not mods, take on the issue there is always a section of the forum membership who insist on their right to freedom of speech.

For years the forum I worked with tried to accommodate these members; it cost lost quality posters, numerous mods left and reduced the overall quality of the site.

After a final crackdown those who wanted these discussions left and set up their own site. Since then moderation has become a thing of the past, the tiny amount of non-football discussion is civilised and without insult and the members concentrate 99% of their time on football.

On an Internet forum there is no such thing as freedom of speech. There is a freedom to discuss in a civilised manner the areas the administration feel appropriate to the site. If people wish or need to have these political discussions I imagine there are plenty of other places to do so.

My only awareness of political debate on here is a vague notion of a sub forum one must opt in to. A sensible approach in my view. If however admin feel this no longer works and have taken action to resolve the issue for the overall benefit of the site and it’s membership the action has my complete support.

I come here to read about cycling, the abscence of political posts, and possibly those who make, them will have zero impact for me and I suspect the vast majority.

Shaun and the mods provide us with somewhere to learn, advise others and have fun - all for free. We should support and thank them for this.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5053447, member: 9609"]Nobody is ever going to stand on a soap box in their own back garden[/QUOTE]
:okay: I like that

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Shaun and the mods provide us with somewhere to learn, advise others and have fun - all for free. We should support and thank them for this.
We do. However I also come here for fun and it would be no fun at all if all discussion had to be about cycling. It would just be weird and/or dull. I just clicked new posts. Slightly less than half of the threads that came up had any connection at all to cycling, so can we stop pretending please that there is any significant membership that only wants to talk about cycling? It says at the top of the page that it's a community. Of course, it is a privately run community space with no 'free speech' rights, but if people don't feel they have the freedom to discuss things in good faith without undue interference or obstruction, and the support of the community in upholding that good faith, they will leave. Or simply stop participating, as Mickle has done. Sorry to dwell on it, but I miss him. :cry:

Levo-Lon

Guru
People behave in a different way on forums.
Venting ,saying things you just wouldn't say at work or while out and about " unless in a car " or commuting on your bike :laugh:

We need a forum chill pill button, I'd eat a few some days

Levo-Lon

Guru
We do. However I also come here for fun and it would be no fun at all if all discussion had to be about cycling. It would just be weird and/or dull. I just clicked new posts. Slightly less than half of the threads that came up had any connection at all to cycling, so can we stop pretending please that there is any significant membership that only wants to talk about cycling? It says at the top of the page that it's a community. Of course, it is a privately run community space with no 'free speech' rights, but if people don't feel they have the freedom to discuss things in good faith without undue interference or obstruction, and the support of the community in upholding that good faith, they will leave. Or simply stop participating, as Mickle has done. Sorry to dwell on it, but I miss him. :cry:

I'm not the sharpest pin in the box academically but i read or read a lot of stuff in the political section and found it very intresting..
People like yourself have taken time to study and provide accurate posts and information.
I will miss a lot of this .so it is a shame its gone

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The single biggest problem with P&CA was that it was open to new members straight away and they waded in with all guns blazing either accidently or trying to create fight. It should be no posting privileges until you have at least been in and out and read it for a month or more so to get the feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom