New helmet time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try it on and see if it fits and is comfortable. Get from a shop if you can :okay: (or at least somewhere with free delivery and returns [and at the moment given Covid] as you may need to try a few before finding 'the one' (I tried at least 10)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I share your orange fetish! (See my helmet below).
And believe me it's really hard to find a helmet in orange, I gather that (and I'm happy to be corrected) that there are no more than 3 on the market at the moment, even then it's not so straightforward to get hold of one.
Fit is really, really key and your number one consideration by some way, I was just lucky that POC were one of the manufacturers who offered an orange option and also one of only two manufacturers whose shape suits my head.

20201103_180533.jpg

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Make sure the adjustment range is sufficient to allow for winter head ware under the helmet.

Last edited:
What about

Lazer tonic or lazer cyclone?
MET echo MIPS or MET terranova or
a Planet X helmet, plenty of on-one offerings in orange.

Personally for me I prefer MTB helmets and remove the peak as the coverage at the rear is extended compared to road helmets.

OP
OP
gmclean

gmclean

Regular
Thanks all - aware the fit needs to be right (took me a while to get my old helmet for this reason). Will check out the recommendations.

And @CanucksTraveller that one is on my list too.

Now to find a shop where I can get them on my (big) heid!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PX only come in medium and large - I went large - they are accurate with the head measurements. I'm Medium in Bell helmets.

At least with the PX MTB XC helmet I don't worry about getting it damaged (headbutting branches on a regular basis) as it was £15 and not the carbon infused fancy Bell one I have.

Sharky

Guru
Also some makes offer a crash replacement discount -

The Giro Helmet Crash Replacement policy allows you to replace your crash damaged Giro cycle helmet with a new one at a reduced price.
To participate in the scheme you must have purchased your helmet within the last two years from one of our UK or Irish Retailers and be a resident in the UK or Ireland.
To take advantage of this scheme all you need to do is drop us an email with the below information.
  • A picture of the damaged helmet
  • A covering letter detailing the information of the accident
  • Proof of purchase of the damaged helmet
  • Details of which replacement helmet you would like. (Model, size and colour)
  • Your Full Name and address
  • Contact Telephone Number
I've replaced mine a couple of times!

Helmet shapes vary by brand. I like them with a flexible adjustable nylon band rather than padding to fit.
Managed to get a mostly white coloured one.
If I can, I buy 2 at the same time so I have a backup when it cracks. Unfortunately my last backup purchase was in a smaller size by mistake.

Top Bottom