New helmet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

Hi all, looking at new helmets and have a couple issues i could do with some help with. A lot of lids I've tried seem to sit high on the head like a mushroom I fancy something a little sleeker ( don't need an aero helmet) have been checking out HJC as they look like they would fit the bill. Would have to buy on the net as none around me, also there's the question of Mips or Wave Cell or other safety. Any thoughts ??

weareHKR

Noooooo.... A Helmet question with added safety technologies... :stop::wacko:
Seriously, you're better off using the Search bar at the top of the page.... there is literally hours & hours of bedtime reading & when you finished that another good read is.... which is the best chain oil! :unsure::laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all, looking at new helmets and have a couple issues i could do with some help with. A lot of lids I've tried seem to sit high on the head like a mushroom I fancy something a little sleeker ( don't need an aero helmet) have been checking out HJC as they look like they would fit the bill. Would have to buy on the net as none around me, also there's the question of Mips or Wave Cell or other safety. Any thoughts ??
Just buy one that fits properly and is comfortable. If buying online, make sure the retailer has free delivery and returns (and accepts helmet returns) otherwise it'll get very expensive (you can also get free returns if sign up and use Paypal)
Never heard of HJC.
My Uvex and Kask are very comfortable for my rounder head. All helmets look daft on me as I have spaniel ear hair :laugh: so fit/comfort is key ahead of look (and any marketing claims about safety features which push the price up)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If you're concerned about the mushroom look it's really just a case of trying a few on and seeing what they look like on you, some will look sleeker thanks to a smaller shell, some will always look like a mushroom. And it's not always make-dependent... sometimes if you're at the low end of "Large" say, even the raciest of helmets might still look like a mushroom. It usually looks a bit neater if you're toward the higher end of a range, so for example where one brand might have a range of 55-58cm in Medium and 57-60cm in Large, and your noggin is 57cm, then the medium will usually look better.
Bear in mind when a helmet shell is more snug you might potentially lose the flexibility of putting a hat under it in bad weather though. Personally I prefer to size down, and I like the neat look of POC helmets, but everyone has their own preference.

Fit is the really, really key element though, make sure it fits properly around the right part of your head and is comfortable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fit is everything. No point having a helmet with depelted uranium technology and pretentioned reactive armour if the fit is not optimum.

If you're serious about safety then go and try some on. You cannot judge the shape of a lid against the shape of your skull from a picture. You may as well wear a saucepan on your head if you're not going to eliminate the chance of getting one that does not conform properly to your noggins topography.

Take a look at the Dashel website, small company in Devon? Made in house and pretty stylish
Oh yes I've seen these. Nice for riding round town but not that airy ?

OP do you not have a Halfords that you can get to to try a few brands ? Mate of mine has worn Giro for years. Just found out that Met helmets fit his head shape better.

I'd not bother with Mips etc.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have an Abus helmet that I purchased from Decathlon and it’s been extremely comfortable and looks quite stylish ( well I think it does 😉)
If you can get to a Decathlon store you can try them on, they will also deliver to your local ASDA

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I can hear the trenches being dug already!

Maybe this is the helmet and gear to go for?

605ede59257718e8c98b0fe7f0edd4c7.jpg

Top Bottom