New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I pay about £240 'road tax' for my car I don't use much. Two of the cars in our house pay £20 and they are used much more.

I'll pay £20 for my bike if folk shut up, even though I'm paying way more per mile than alot of folk.

I pay about £240 'road tax' for my car I don't use much. Two of the cars in our house pay £20 and they are used much more.

I'll pay £20 for my bike if folk shut up, even though I'm paying way more per mile than alot of folk.
If 'road tax' on human-powered vehicles is to be predicated on emissions, then the eating of artichokes, beans and brassicas by cyclists will need to incur extra costs ...

classic33

Leg End Member
I do wonder whether - with all these perfectly reasonable arguments about cyclist paying road tax
after all 'they ' provide specific areas for cyclist to ride on
and there is evidence that they can cause road traffic 'accidents'
and therefore they should pay road tax

so what level of road tax should all pedestrians be paying - and where should they wear their number plate?????
the same things seems to apply - so, logically,the same should apply

and - I suppose - do they need a different number plate for each pair of shoes???

just wondering
Try registering your bike, to enable you to pay VED. It's nigh on impossible.
Until you have that you can't pay anything. MOT's would block cars being tested, something else to moan about.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycling friends of mine have contacted the council, but no response and nothing done.
Try your MP as above then :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cycling friends of mine have contacted the council, but no response and nothing done.

Try your MP as above then :okay:

If your local council is anything like my local council, they'll sit on their hands until a group of charitable do-gooders get out their shovels and bin bags and do the council's job for them, for free.

Then they'll post the before and after photos on FB, showing locals all the great work they've done and everyone is full of praise (except for a few grumblers wondering why the local council hasn't done it)... and the local council thinks, this strategy works!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If 'road tax' on human-powered vehicles is to be predicated on emissions, then the eating of artichokes, beans and brassicas by cyclists will need to incur extra costs ...

We can have classifications for emissions, like they do for diesel vehicles: Euro 1, 2... etc, but, I suppose now we have left Europe it cannot be Euro, Cyclo1, Cyclo2... perhaps ;)

Last day or so I have seen couple of things saying teh new 'rules' should be abolished IMMEDIATELY as they will cause mass deaths and all sorts

Main one seems to be that cyclists are now allowed to undertake a vehicle that is about to turn left into a side street
which is clearly total rubbish

and, of course, now cyclists are allowed to ride in the middle of the road and cars etc can;t overtake

all total carp but seems like there is a new 'motorist' group being formed to fight the changes before we get swamped in dead bodies of poor innocent motorists killed by cyclists
or something like that
they will probably declare themselves sovereign citizens before long:eek:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Main one seems to be that cyclists are now allowed to undertake a vehicle that is about to turn left into a side street
which is clearly total rubbish
That has always been the lie told by motorists who kill or seriously injure cyclists by overtaking them and turning left across or into them. We should not be surprised it is trotted out again, but rebut it firmly yet again.

Maybe we need a cyclists defence organisation to accompany the cyclists defence fund?

figbat

Slippery scientist
What these "new rules" seem to have done is simply trigger a whole load of people who weren't really aware of what their obligations or expectations were already - the 'news' has simply woken them up and given them a target to rant and rave in a focussed way at, rather than the constant but disparate commentary underneath Daily Mail articles or Jeremy Vine tweets. It is a rallying call to all the entitled drivers who have spent their whole driving lives under an assumed belief of righteousness. If there had been no changes to the HC but a high profile awareness campaign of what is expected the same would have happened.

We now see people railing against the "new laws" and I've seen an online petition raised to rescind the changes, largely all based on misunderstanding or simple ignorance of what the new HC statements actually mean. For the most part, to paraphrase, the new HC is essentially stating "if you see a cyclist doing this, they are allowed to" but sadly without the additional "...and always were".

People, especially entitled drivers, do not like being told that their beliefs or behaviours are wrong. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen comments about things being illegal, or quoting laws that are simply made up to fit the commentator's beliefs.

Top Bottom