New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
someone on twitter tried to do a should cyclists pay road tax , they took it down after 92 % said no :smile:

View: https://twitter.com/TimAltham/status/1488203165493301249

the following post made me laugh too , cyclist pays £2 a year based on weight / potential to damage road , car ? £20, 000 a year :smile:

Always interesting when sound science is lost in translation.

This article explains the origin and relevance of the 4th power law:

https://www.insidescience.org/news/how-much-damage-do-heavy-trucks-do-our-roads

Essentially looking at the damage caused by heavy trucks:

“The damage due to cars, for practical purposes, when we are designing pavements, is basically zero. It’s not actually zero, but it’s so much smaller -- orders of magnitude smaller -- that we don’t even bother with them,” said Karim Chatti, a civil engineer from Michigan State University in East Lansing.

ie using the 4th power law to argue as in the Twitter post about cars v bikes is bad science.

Elsewhere, I saw years ago a report saying that the loads imposed by cars on a road surface designed for HGVs are well within the elastic limit of the engineered surface and car damage is essentially zero. ie the same thing as the linked article but coming from a different diretion.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My goodness, a lot of motorists are really quite angry at being asked to be just a tad more observant and careful aren't they? Message boards across the web are alight with rage today on the thought of having to just maybe ease up for a second, to watch out for vulnerable road users that tiny bit more.

By the way, what is it about a cyclist's fabric choice that's a really key trigger to the Toads of Toad Hall? "Lycra clad cyclists"... "All these Tour de France wannabes, in their lycra". Never a peep about coat clad pedestrians, or trouser clad dog walkers, or denim clad drivers, or denim clad cyclists for that matter. It seems that it's not cycles that wind up the Ronnie Pickerings, it's someone else wearing lycra that really gets them wound up.

alchurch

Report to council, there’s usually a dedicated form to use online :okay:
Are we supposed to use them for cycling, or is it just an area to sweep broken glass and other debris. In Slough the bike lanes are just car parking areas, it will be great when councils finally take bike lanes seriously

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My goodness, a lot of motorists are really quite angry at being asked to be just a tad more observant and careful aren't they? Message boards across the web are alight with rage today on the thought of having to just maybe ease up for a second, to watch out for vulnerable road users that tiny bit more.

By the way, what is it about a cyclist's fabric choice that's a really key trigger to the Toads of Toad Hall? "Lycra clad cyclists"... "All these Tour de France wannabes, in their lycra". Never a peep about coat clad pedestrians, or trouser clad dog walkers, or denim clad drivers, or denim clad cyclists for that matter. It seems that it's not cycles that wind up the Ronnie Pickerings, it's someone else wearing lycra that really gets them wound up.
its because they are jealous as they know they would wobble to much if they tried :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Are we supposed to use them for cycling, or is it just an area to sweep broken glass and other debris. In Slough the bike lanes are just car parking areas, it will be great when councils finally take bike lanes seriously
I’ve reported a couple of overgrown shared ped/bike paths around here , both were cleared when I next used

I generally avoid Slough to be honest!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It is a should rather than a must. I had a case on Sunday on coming round a corner a person was waiting to cross but not immediately at the corner so does the "should" apply in that instance anyway and I was being followed by a car which had no intent on stopping.
...so... let me try to understand this... the car behind you may have some influence on whether or not you stop to let a pedestrian cross?

Mike_P

Guru
...so... let me try to understand this... the car behind you may have some influence on whether or not you stop to let a pedestrian cross?
Not exactly, more an oops should I have stopped, um he didn't either.

presta

Guru
This might be of interest if anyone tries to tell you that motorists weren't consulted about the changes:

1643739047487.png

someone on twitter tried to do a should cyclists pay road tax , they took it down after 92 % said no :smile:
This is the most effective answer I've found when they start complaining about road tax. If you tell them there's no such thing as road tax they just laugh at you, but this shuts them up first time every time.

1643739320652.png

loads imposed by cars on a road surface designed for HGVs are well within the elastic limit of the engineered surface and car damage is essentially zero
Loads imposed by HGVs are well within the elastic limit as well, otherwise the roads would fail due to overload immediately the load is applied. Fatigue fractures grow when a cyclic load below the elastic limit is applied thousands or millions of times, and the greater the load, the fewer cycles required to reach failure point.

The fourth power law is good enough for the DoT: "road wear: the structural road wear attributable to vehicles is normally assumed to be proportional to the fourth power of the axle weight"

Maths here.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Always interesting when sound science is lost in translation.

This article explains the origin and relevance of the 4th power law:

https://www.insidescience.org/news/how-much-damage-do-heavy-trucks-do-our-roads

Essentially looking at the damage caused by heavy trucks:

“The damage due to cars, for practical purposes, when we are designing pavements, is basically zero. It’s not actually zero, but it’s so much smaller -- orders of magnitude smaller -- that we don’t even bother with them,” said Karim Chatti, a civil engineer from Michigan State University in East Lansing.

ie using the 4th power law to argue as in the Twitter post about cars v bikes is bad science.

Elsewhere, I saw years ago a report saying that the loads imposed by cars on a road surface designed for HGVs are well within the elastic limit of the engineered surface and car damage is essentially zero. ie the same thing as the linked article but coming from a different diretion.

What about UK pavements? See plenty that must be (damaged by) cars as you won’t be seeing trucks on them.

I do wonder whether - with all these perfectly reasonable arguments about cyclist paying road tax
after all 'they ' provide specific areas for cyclist to ride on
and there is evidence that they can cause road traffic 'accidents'
and therefore they should pay road tax

so what level of road tax should all pedestrians be paying - and where should they wear their number plate?????
the same things seems to apply - so, logically,the same should apply

and - I suppose - do they need a different number plate for each pair of shoes???

just wondering

Top Bottom