New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're saying you see them park up on the pavement,
I'm not sure what your point is/was here, but ...
yes, I do see lots of car drivers mounting the pavement - illegally of course - for various reasons. (mainly to leave their car there for a few hours, or days).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As road users there should be a bit more give and take ...
From what you posted its seems you're doing all the giving and letting the motorists do all the taking.

As a cyclist I'm as much a vehicle using the road as any other vehicle using the road. If there's a 'faster' vehicle behind me, so be it. If a motorist is going to get antagonised because they're behind a slower vehicle than they need to do some of the 'giving'. They can pass when it's safe to do so and I'll try my best to use my position in the road to enable this. It's not just cyclists that go slower on narrow country lanes, it's tractors and buses too... and as i always said to my dad when he was complaining about being stuck behind some cyclists... why don't you complain when it's a bus or a tractor. Oddly, he never had a viable reply. :blush:

From what you posted its seems you're doing all the giving and letting the motorists do all the taking.

As a cyclist I'm as much a vehicle using the road as any other vehicle using the road. If there's a 'faster' vehicle behind me, so be it. If a motorist is going to get antagonised because they're behind a slower vehicle than they need to do some of the 'giving'. They can pass when it's safe to do so and I'll try my best to use my position in the road to enable this. It's not just cyclists that go slower on narrow country lanes, it's tractors and buses too... and as i always said to my dad when he was complaining about being stuck behind some cyclists... why don't you complain when it's a bus or a tractor. Oddly, he never had a viable reply. :blush:
Busses can be really infuriating! The Top Gear programme with Richard Hammond was a prime example ! Cutting him up , pulling out in front of him and squeezing him out .
In the old days bus stops had lay-bys in which a bus would stop allowing the free flow of traffic . In those days they also had conductors which meant that the bus could move off once everyone was aboard . Here the busses stop at the side of the road with the nose near the kerb and the tail blocking the whole road whilst passengers pay the driver .
It's consideration for other road users . It doesn't take a lot of effort to just to move over to allow a vehicle past.
A

Alex321

Veteran

I will always complain when stuck behind a tractor if they pass a few openings without pulling in to let traffic past (though to be fair, most of them don't do that).

And until recently, I owned and used a caravan regularly, and with that I would always pull in if I could see a few cars building up behind me.

It is just common courtesy, if you are holding other traffic up, you pull over when there is a reasonable opportunity to let them past.

Yes, I agree.

Do Drivers stop for a faster car to pass? (e.g. Brabants stopping for Porsches?)
And do drivers pull over in queues to help cyclists pass more safely?
(actually they sometimes do - I've had several this week! But that doesn't fit the party line of Drivers don't know about the changes, and if they do will just be antagonised :P

PK99

Legendary Member
I will always complain when stuck behind a tractor if they pass a few openings without pulling in to let traffic past (though to be fair, most of them don't do that).

And until recently, I owned and used a caravan regularly, and with that I would always pull in if I could see a few cars building up behind me.

It is just common courtesy, if you are holding other traffic up, you pull over when there is a reasonable opportunity to let them past.

Just as the revised HWC makes clear for cyclists when holding up traffic:

People cycling are asked to be aware of people driving behind them and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when it’s safe to do so.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022

It seems to me many cyclists are focussing on the newly explained HWC requirements on Drivers and ignoring the clear duties the revisions highlight for cyclists, in this case, wrt other road traffic but most particularly wrt pedestrians. There is a particular crossroad near me where commuting cyclists turn off the through road at speed. They will now have to stop on the main road for pedestrians waiting to cross the side road.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Just as the revised HWC makes clear for cyclists when holding up traffic:

People cycling are asked to be aware of people driving behind them and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when it’s safe to do so.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-highway-code-8-changes-you-need-to-know-from-29-january-2022
Hard to argue with any of that.

But "allow them to overtake" needs to be clarified - when singling out means that a driver might be tempted to take that as an invitation to overtake without crossing the white line (i.e. where there is oncoming traffic) then facilitating the overtake could well result in a close pass, or worse.

icowden

Veteran
In the old days bus stops had lay-bys in which a bus would stop allowing the free flow of traffic . In those days they also had conductors which meant that the bus could move off once everyone was aboard .
Well, I don't know which olden days you had.

In my day (1970s-80s) we stood at the side of the road and waved for the bus to stop. Sometimes in the city centre the bus had a pull in, but mostly not. I do remember the conductors, but they are now somewhat obsolete. You just get on and wave your card at a reader (or phone). The ire should be reserved for those people who do not get their phone or card ready before boarding!

But "allow them to overtake" needs to be clarified - when singling out means that a driver might be tempted to take that as an invitation to overtake without crossing the white line (i.e. where there is oncoming traffic) then facilitating the overtake could well result in a close pass, or worse.
But isn't it still the driver's responsbility to overtake safely?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In my day (1970s-80s) we stood at the side of the road and waved for the bus to stop. Sometimes in the city centre the bus had a pull in, but mostly not. I do remember the conductors, but they are now somewhat obsolete. You just get on and wave your card at a reader (or phone). The ire should be reserved for those people who do not get their phone or card ready before boarding!
Maybe that's how it works for you, but here you have to get on, tell the driver what ticket you want, then wave your card/phone at the reader and wait for the ticket. The pay wave has just replaced dropping coins/notes into a tray with something slower! You can use an app instead, but then you need a different app for each bus company and still have to wait for the driver's machine to scan the QR code, thanks to every single bus company here using mTickets instead of the standard eTickets that you can put into your phone's standard ticket app like most rail companies including Eurostar IIRC.

Back on topic or almost: no, few pull-ins here either. We have a few created by road improvement projects, where the loop of old road has been left for buses. I do remember that back in the Midlands, the Highways Agency was very keen on pull-ins for buses stopping on their trunk A roads, but it's far from universal on their A47 in Norfolk, so that might have been something that only some regional offices insisted upon.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It seems to me many cyclists are focussing on the newly explained HWC requirements on Drivers and ignoring the clear duties the revisions highlight for cyclists, in this case, wrt other road traffic but most particularly wrt pedestrians. [...]
Yes, I've pointed it out before: this revision has more new and updated rules for cyclists than any other road user. Mostly these are good things, such as bringing the advice on road positioning into line with Bikeability, weakening the advice on clothing and reflecting the long-updated laws on lighting and zebra/parallel crossings.

But they are still updates and all cyclists would do well to reread the code one evening soon.

alchurch

pecan?

We have always been allowed to cycle across Toucan (TwoCan) crossings

For ALL other crossings:

Rule 81​

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across
This was not so much quoting a new rule affecting cyclists, but asking where do we stop giving way for pedestrians? I looked and did not find anything explaining pedestrian conduct at light controlled crossings.Rule 82 mentions "
  • Toucan crossings are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time.
  • Pedestrians and cyclists will see the green signal together. Cyclists are permitted to ride across.
  • You may ride across, but you MUST NOT cross until the green cycle symbol is showing"
  • When it says you MUST NOT CROSS it is taking about cyclists, but does it mean pedestrians also? if so where would we stand legally if there was a collision and the rule supposed to explain it was not written down.
  • I appreciate I confused my birds with nuts so change pecan with toucan

Top Bottom