New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
link to give drivers who moan that the new rules make it unsafe for them
https://www.gov.uk/giving-up-your-driving-licence

It's very obvious that none of the dozen or so drivers I encountered on a short walk to the local shop, and back, today have heard of changes to the HC. Either that or previous behaviour is so ingrained that they haven't been able to change it yet.
OK, so regarding pedestrian stuff: I'd say that all the anti-cyclists hysteria has totally drowned out the tweaks that benefit other users.

Alex321

Veteran
From HWC online today:

My reading is that little has changed other than some "should" guidance.

Absolutely. No laws have changed. And actually, most of the guidance changes are more clarification of what should already have been the case than anything really new. There are only a few really new bits of guidance.
Item 5, is in conflict with HWC guidance if it is intended to suggest that cyclists are now allowed to pass on the inside a car in that situation

Rule 74​

Turning. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. If you intend to turn left, check first for other cyclists or motorcyclists before signalling. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signaling or slowing down to turn left.
I don't think 5 is suggesting it is OK for the cyclist to overtake on the inside tgere, it isaying the car shouldn't bevturning if the cyclist is there.

But one of the new rules does now expicitly state that it is generally OK for cyclists to overtake on either side in slow moving or stationary traffic.

I have to say that apart from a couple of honourable mentions for the Darwin awards today - I think drivers were better today.

Kajjal

Guru
Out this afternoon and drivers with the exception a couple of the normal “BMW“ drivers diving through gaps that don’t exist drivers were more patient than normal. To be fair locally drivers are very good anyway.

I don't think 5 is suggesting it is OK for the cyclist to overtake on the inside tgere, it isaying the car shouldn't bevturning if the cyclist is there.
Yes.
Unfortunately a lot of people can't cope with these two statements at the same time!

alchurch

As pedestrians now have right of way I was wondering about light controlled crossings. It says we should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross but does not specify if that includes against the lights.The only bit I could find regarding pecan crossings mentions that cyclists can now cycle across but only when the green bike light is on

Mike_P

Guru
Item 5, is in conflict with HWC guidance if it is intended to suggest that cyclists are now allowed to pass on the inside a car in that situation
Item 5 is meant to be showing the "Left hook"; it really needs a series of graphics showing the car overtaking the cyclsit and then turning left straight in front

PK99

Legendary Member
As pedestrians now have right of way I was wondering about light controlled crossings. It says we should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross but does not specify if that includes against the lights.The only bit I could find regarding pecan crossings mentions that cyclists can now cycle across but only when the green bike light is on

pecan?

We have always been allowed to cycle across Toucan (TwoCan) crossings

For ALL other crossings:

Rule 81​

Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across

Out this afternoon and drivers with the exception a couple of the normal “BMW“ drivers diving through gaps that don’t exist drivers were more patient than normal. To be fair locally drivers are very good anyway.
Same here. But I was riding along as I normally do, 2-3 feet from the kerb, when one car passed me (small BMW by coincidence), with the passenger window open and the woman passenger screeching at me, something about "bloody cyclists think you own the road". I just gave a friendly wave and carried on.

I am sure that her reaction was provoked by some of the clickbait comments in the press about the new rules rather than the changed rules themselves.

Top Bottom