New Hybrid it is then ! but which one ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Stem lengths will affect bike fit, but a saddle swap isn't going to alter the length of the top tube,
True but I bought a Suntour suspension post which moved the seat back 25mm which made all the difference for me.

Smudge

Veteran
As you say though, it isn't a BSO - nor is anything else Decathlon sell either. They just do good value for the price.
For the OP's stated use, basically pootling around on cycle paths and some tame gravel tracks, pretty much any flat bar bike with strong tyres is going to do the job. The 6 speed gearing on the 100 is low with a 38T front and 14-28 rear, but leisure riders just out for a bit of fresh air are unlikely to ever do more than 14 or 15 mph on a clear road, so the gearing is adequate. A lot of people get some idea in their head that they need this and that feature on a bike in order to even venture as far as the end of their road. It's not the case, and low end, simple and basic stuff works fine, and those rigid steel forks are never going to wear out or have their seals fail.

OP wants better quality than that, he's already said his budget is over £500, and bikes in a £500+ range will ride much nicer and have better quality components than that Riverside 100. Plus its heavy at 15.2 or 15.4 kilos. No one has ever said... 'damn, i wish my bike was a bit heavier'
Agree with you about not having suspension fork tho, i still dont get why OP wants them with the cycling he has described he does.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
True but I bought a Suntour suspension post which moved the seat back 25mm which made all the difference for me.
Those suspension seat posts are good. I had one on a Marin and was more effective at smoothing out the rough roads than the suspension fork.

When it comes to bikes, I am fundamentally a heart over head purchaser.

You have a good idea, and the ideas are good, as to what you want and why, that’s already better than many when they start to look. You want Lockable suspension, great, i wouldn’t, but I’m not you and better to get it than look at the bike in six months and go “I wish...”

You have a short list, go look at ‘em, sit on ‘em and if possible ride ‘em. At that point will know which one you want and the one you want is the one you will ride the most.^_^ :bicycle:.

And see if Decathlon will order in a 920 to have a look at, sounds like the staff would be happy to do so as they want to see one too:laugh:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
It is also worth keeping in mind there is a new line of riverside coming up this summer. All are losing up the suspension, but gaining dynamo wheels, mudguards and integrated racks.

More info on Instagram

Last edited:
Good post. OP would be well advised to check it out I think.
I doubt anyone will miss the suspension.
The integrated rack bothers me a bit though. Not keen on integrated stuff.

Last edited:

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
My first bike was a Giant hybrid - a Roam 2 with short travel suspension forks. It was a comfy enough bike but a bit heavy and not really agile. Good though. I ride mainly lanes, towpaths (we live next to the Kennet and Avon), tracks and a few woods. I had fun but wanted better.
My mindset was fixed on a mtb with decent air suspension forks and better components. I test rode many bikes and never found anything that really grabbed me. Only after a long chat with the guys at an LBS did I take their demo Giant Toughroad for a spin. I was gone for over an hour! Rigid carbon forks and wide tyres made for a light and agile bike with a superbly comfy ride. For my riding I realised I just didn’t need suspension forks and I’m all the happier for it.
Try and find a Toughroad or something similar and have a go on one, like others have said I think you’ll be better off without a suspension fork and get more spec elsewhere on the bike for the same money.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Thanks guys, im still open to loads of offers and in no major rush ! but was hoping to get for Feb/March time.

I do ride some bumpy paths with the family and I will be honest I do like turning the suspension on, makes for a much smoother ride.
I will not rule out the non suspension though.

Ill try to look at these bikes now online!

Cheers

rivers

How far can I go?
Definitely don't rule out non-suspension. Gravel bikes with wider tyres offer a surprisingly comfortable ride. I've taken my gravel/cx bike on blue rated mtb trails, single track, rutted bridle ways, etc. The types of riding you're describing would suit a gravel bike.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

I have been in big discussion with a guy who works at a Decathlon and uses the Btwin users group on facebook.

Im even more confused now! I see a whole new range of Riverside bikes coming out (which is ok, as change is good and brands need to keep fresh) but I have also been told new colours of the current range are coming out in Feb which I have seen and look great. But in France they are slowly fading out the 920 model as new models will be introduced.

I do want my bike from Feb, so i can either wait till the new colours....get the 920 now which I love the colours !! BUT if a new 920 is coming out around the corner! is it worth the wait? Looks like to me the Hybrid style bikes are possibly moving to a more of a gravel bike style - i am after a more upright ride, where Gravel bikes tend to be more of a road bike style?

I am going to start looking at other brands as well now as at the £599 price on the 920, this gives me more options as Boardman and Trek have some great bikes around that price too - but I do like the 920.

The guy in Coventry did say the Riverside 500 and 900 do have a lot of plastic in the main moving parts.
If any owners can let me know your thoughts?

Never knew buying a bike could be like buying a house !!!! (or is it just me, making it hard !)

vickster

Legendary Member
I have been in big discussion with a guy who works at a Decathlon and uses the Btwin users group on facebook.

Im even more confused now! I see a whole new range of Riverside bikes coming out (which is ok, as change is good and brands need to keep fresh) but I have also been told new colours of the current range are coming out in Feb which I have seen and look great. But in France they are slowly fading out the 920 model as new models will be introduced.

I do want my bike from Feb, so i can either wait till the new colours....get the 920 now which I love the colours !! BUT if a new 920 is coming out around the corner! is it worth the wait? Looks like to me the Hybrid style bikes are possibly moving to a more of a gravel bike style - i am after a more upright ride, where Gravel bikes tend to be more of a road bike style?

I am going to start looking at other brands as well now as at the £599 price on the 920, this gives me more options as Boardman and Trek have some great bikes around that price too - but I do like the 920.

The guy in Coventry did say the Riverside 500 and 900 do have a lot of plastic in the main moving parts.
If any owners can let me know your thoughts?

Never knew buying a bike could be like buying a house !!!! (or is it just me, making it hard !)
It’s you partly and conflicting info. A £600 investment isn’t quite like a 600k investment
However have you at least test ridden a few bikes...after all you wouldn’t buy a house without looking round a few and doing a thorough survey on the one you like most :okay:
Oh and to note, all bikes have lots of plastic moving parts!

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Another bike which on looking at, I did take a likening too and thats the Boardman MTX 8.6 that halfords are selling.
Online they have the limited edition in orange which is on a at a great price at the moment.
I do love the smooth weld finish on the boardman bikes too.

The bike is showing online but not instore - and was considering the joining cyclinguk.org and getting a family membership and 10% off at halfords, but it does say instore only ?

But my heart is still with the Btwin 900 and 920 !!!! - might get the wife the 500 or 900.

well i have narrowed it down to 3 models now! going to a test ride on the boardman soon.

vickster

Legendary Member
Another bike which on looking at, I did take a likening too and thats the Boardman MTX 8.6 that halfords are selling.
Online they have the limited edition in orange which is on a at a great price at the moment.
I do love the smooth weld finish on the boardman bikes too.

The bike is showing online but not instore - and was considering the joining cyclinguk.org and getting a family membership and 10% off at halfords, but it does say instore only ?

But my heart is still with the Btwin 900 and 920 !!!! - might get the wife the 500 or 900.

well i have narrowed it down to 3 models now! going to a test ride on the boardman soon.
Yes, you won't get a discount if you pay for the bike online. You should do however if you click and collect and pay in store (but check with your local branch before ordering as the rules are pretty murky and variable branch to branch even). Note that one is available for click and collect but they only have in Medium size (CR have small, but they don't do C&C on that bike, so no discount - you could use quidco for a few quid back)

You cam't test ride at Halfords but you should be able to at Cycle Republic, if it's a model they have built and ready on the shop floor

Their size guide
rdman Frame SizeHeight (inches)Height (cm)
Small5'2" to 5'7"157cm to 170cm
Medium5'6" to 5'11"167cm to 180cm
Large5'10" to 6'3"177cm to 190cm

Last edited:

SAMOSA111

It is also worth keeping in mind there is a new line of riverside coming up this summer. All are losing up the suspension, but gaining dynamo wheels, mudguards and integrated racks. View attachment 501417
More info on Instagram

Anyone know when these new bikes will be released? The Instagram post says summer 2020 but it's almost at the end of August and there are no updates online.

I need to purchase two bikes but I'm holding off since I prefer these newer models.

Top Bottom